Skip to main content
Answered

How to setup a percentage question that adds up to 100%

• 29 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I can’t figure out how to set this specific up on Typeform. Is there a way, I can setup a Multiple choice question where users can add their inputs to each choice as a % and the survey form makes sure that the total adds up to 100%. 

1. How much of your overall time is spent on each of these categories of work? Make sure that the total % adds up to 100%

• 0 %] Supporting ad-hoc requests from business teams 

• 0 %] Supporting periodic repetitive requests from business teams 

• 0 %] Planning ahead and delivering strategic insights to business teams 

• 0 %] Building tools or systems to scale your time

• 0 %] Other activities

Hi @akb welcome to the community! Happy you’re here. :grinning: Our multiple choice question doesn’t allow for custom inputs, so it wouldn’t exactly be possible to add this to your form. Would a ranking question work? It’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but it would save you the troubles of setting up a lot of logic jumps to make this work. 

I could also be missing a workaround that @john.desborough may know!

Hey @Liz Thanks for the prompt response! I resorted to a Ranking question but to be honest, we felt it was a bit awkward to answer with the ranking format. The % format also helps us to carve out a clear data point which would be missing from a ranking styled format. 

LMK if there is a workaround. 

@akb @Liz - the only workaround that i could add to this is one that doesn’t yet have the in-Typeform logic processing capability: Matrix Question

You could use a matrix question with the Question statements down the side and percentage across the top ie 5,10,15,20,25

Currently you would have to put in a message in the Description field that said something like “We won’t do the validation that this adds up to exactly 100 Percent, but try to give us the best representation” 

If you could perform logic on the Matrix question you would you be able to add the selections of each of the questions and validate the sum.

@akb - one thing you might want to think on - instead of using percent, maybe use the ranking or opinion question to say something like: Out of an 8-hour day, how many hours do you usually spend on this activity?  and having 8 options to select, that would give you a 1-8 hour selection for that activity. at the end all the question series, you could then have a yes/no question that would allow you to sum the hours - let’s say 10 for example - and say “hey, your answers of: q1 - a q2 - c etc total up to 10 hours in an 8 hour day, do you want to go back and adjust your answers to try and keep it to 8? no worries if you really do spend this extra time daily”

that might give you a more solid data point. 

just some thoughts

des