Answered

How to stop respondents from moving forward in the form?

• 20 February 2021
  • 58 replies

On our typeforms, even when the question is required, it allows the user to just scroll past the question. How can I disable this, we don’t want them progressing unless they give an answer.

icon

Best answer by Mariana 22 February 2021, 09:28

View original

58 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @Simple Companies. Welcome to our Community! =) 

That's a very good point! In fact, respondents will only be notified they can't submit when they try to, not at the time of trying to skip a question. This means they can scroll to see other questions but they won't be able to submit the form. 

To prevent this from happening, the workaround is to use Logic Jump to hide future questions until the current is answered. We have articles here that will help explain this in a bit more detail :) 

Hide following questions using Branching and calculations (New builder) 

Hide following questions using Logic Jumps (Classic builder)

Hope this helps! 

Userlevel 1

Hi everybody,

By scrolling, ending button appears, anywhere in the survey: I’ve created a survey with many questions, if I scroll page, by error, the “ending” button appears. So I have many “finished survey” unfinished, while all questions further are “required”… Do you know how could I avoid “ending” button by scrolling?

Thanks a lot for helping! :pray:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @Marion. Welcome to the Typeform Community! 🥳

I moved your question here, as I believe you might be referring to the same use case we have in this thread. Does the workaround we offered above help you? 

Userlevel 1

Hello @Mariana,

Thanks for helping. Yes, it’s the same problem you right, but the workaround is too long to apply with my survey, I have more than 40 questions, if I have to “play” with logic jump for every answer, it will take too much time! :scream:

It will be easier to “disable” possibility to see further questions, no?

Thanks a lot,

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Marion. I see. Thanks a lot for sharing your feedback. 

It would be easier if there was an option to disable it, but this is not a feature at the moment I'm afraid. I'll note this suggestion for you though! 

You could also remove the Navigation arrows so it'll less intuitive that the respondent can jump to the following questions. Still, if they scroll with a mouse, it'll go to the next one.

Userlevel 1

Is there a way to use this with the payment form? It says “This question type doesn’t work with Logic Jump”

Do the logic jump workarounds only work for multiple choice or yes no answers? I have text fields that are required to be used as recalled information later on- so I don’t want respondents scrolling past them. 

Thanks.

@Mariana wanted to tag you in the previous question comment. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @gregs and @Fellow. In fact, this workaround cannot be used with all question types. Statements and payment questions, for example, don't accept logic jumps. 

If it's a text field, you can add a logic jump such as: 

If [Q1 text field] is "Mariana", then jump to [Q2] → which is the next question

Note that not everyone will answer "Mariana", but adding a condition will hide the following question because the form will wait for the answer to be able to show the next page. In this example, if the answer is "Mariana", the form will jump to Q2, and if the answer isn't "Mariana", the respondent will go to the next question following the regular order of your questions, which is Q2 :) 

Hope this helps! 

Hi, how can you stop users scrolling to look at the questions in advance?I have already set up logic jump so when they complete an answer it jumps to the next question. However, they can scroll before they answer and see all the questions. I do not want that to happen. Thanks

Andrew

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Andrewhelp. Happy Thursday! 

I moved your question here so you can see the above conversation for more context. Are you using "in all other cases, jump to..."?  If so, I'd recommend you remove it. You need to create a condition otherwise the form will go to the following question. 

Hope this helps :)

Hello,

I have successfully prevented users from scrolling to the next question but now the submit button appears when they scroll.

Did I do something wrong or is this normal?

Please mention how I can disable this feature.

Thanks. @Mariana 

I really would like an option to disable this. Would be very helpful, the workaround, while useful for some cases it, it doesn’t work with some cases and creates more work…..

Userlevel 1

@Denis, we were having the same issue for some of questions with logic jumps and if someone clicked ‘Submit’ it would automatically end the survey. What we ended up figuring out was that if one answer had a rule, we then had to specify “In all other cases” X would happen. That fixed it for us. Hope that helps!

Hello,

I have successfully prevented users from scrolling to the next question but now the submit button appears when they scroll.

Did I do something wrong or is this normal?

Please mention how I can disable this feature.

Thanks. @Mariana 

How did you do it? With the logic rules?

Is there any way for me to make that the users CAN NOT see the next question in the poll until they've answered the current question?? I mean, example:
If Im in question N.1, I cannot swipe up to see question N.2 until the moment I've answered N.1 first.
Is this possible? How can I do it?

Thanks a lot for your help :D

FOLLOWING as interested in stopping respondents automatically progressing to the next question in my surveys…

At the moment, if they give a wrong answer, they have to click on a SUBMIT button which then screens them out…

But if they give a correct answer (whether intended or not), they automatically progress to the next question.

We believe - because many are applying on their phones - that the answers are not necessarily being chosen and hit by mistake. Stopping any automatic progression and forcing them to hit a NEXT button would mean the answers provided are more likely to be accurate.

Can anyone help?

At the moment, if respondents to my surveys give a wrong answer, they have to click on a SUBMIT button. This then screens them out (as don’t meet our criteria).

But if they give a correct answer (whether intended or not), they automatically progress to the next question.

We believe - because many are applying on their phones - that the answers are not necessarily being chosen and hit by mistake. Stopping any automatic progression and forcing them to hit a NEXT button would mean the answers provided are more likely to be accurate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Gromotion and @Niam ! I added your posts here where we have the answer. :grinning: Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi Liz - thanks for adding, but I’m not sure this is what I am looking for…

We do use the “Required” function to force an answer…

But what I would like to stop is that auto progression when someone picks a correct answer. I would prefer them to have to hit a Next button to continue.

Technically, people can change their responses to understand what is Good (and can continue) versus Bad (and be screened out).

Ideally, the Submit option wouldn’t appear if they gave a wrong answer to one of our questions, i.e. they would also click a Next button but the logic took them to a screen out page.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hm, @Gromotion I’m a bit confused - are you trying to stop the respondent from moving backwards in the form to change their answer? If so, I’m afraid this isn’t possible, but you can prevent them from moving forward until they select an answer by using the logic jump setup here

Hi @Liz,

what we are looking for is the option to disable the auto-progess for single-response questions: Imagine, you have a multiple choice for which only one answer should be provided but you have disabled the going back function. If a participant clicked an answer by accident (or not) typeform automatically moves on to the next question and they have no chance of correcting their answer.

Does this make @Gromotion point clearer?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah, got it, @Kai  - thank you! I’m afraid we don’t have an option to disable this, but I can share this suggestion to our product team. 

Hi @Liz ,

So I’m messing around with using these logic jumps to prevent automatic scrolling to the next question. And everything works for questions that have button inputs (yes/no, multiple choice, etc.), but there seems to be a bug with short-text questions (maybe long-text as well).

My first question is a simple “What is your name?” .. I’ve got my logic setup identical to the one in this support article but, it still scrolls to the next question if left blank. It does work, however, if you input some text first and then delete it.

Thanks in advance :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @kendrick Could you send us a screenshot of what you have setup in your logic jumps?