Answered

Implied logic in Outcome Quiz selections?

• 3 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I’m trying to figure out if Outcome Quiz logic can be used with the granularity needed for the following use case.

Specifically, I’m wondering how the logic is constructed where you “Link Outcomes to Endings.”  I’m having trouble figuring it out via trial and error.  

When I select answers in the “Link Answers to Ending” prompt, is the given Ending associated with a set of answers selected if ANY of the selected answers are present, or only if ALL of the selected answers are present?

Does this apply if I select multiple answers for a given question to be associated with an Ending?

Use case:

I am building a quiz with 8-10 questions from which 5 characteristics are determined about a respondent.  Some characteristics are determined from 1 question and some characteristics require multiple questions.  Each characteristic has 3-4 options.

Based on the combination of 5 characteristics, I’m assigning an Ending.

For some characteristics, this characteristic will determine the Ending you get, NO MATTER what other characteristics you have. 

For other characteristics, a combination will result in an Ending IF other characteristics are not present.  

I was getting ready to start plugging in the many, many combinations of characteristics to reach many different Endings, but need to confirm this first.

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 3 November 2021, 22:22

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1

And to clarify -

Let’s say someone is a Leopard if they select A for Question 1 and B for Question 2, and ANY answer for Question 3. 

In the Endings builder, if create the Ending “You’re a Leopard” and associate it with 1A and 2B, should I add ALL the answers for Question 3 (3A, 3B, 3C) via the interface?  

OR, should I add only 1A and 2B, and *none* of the answers for Question 3, because whatever someone chooses for 3, it won’t matter because they will be a Leopard based on 1A and 2B.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@NathanW - welcome to the community… someone from Typeform might correct my post here BUT let’s say that for argument’s sake you have 3 endings and 3 questions. In the outcome quiz you assign the answers that will point to the endings 1, 2 or 3. 

the ‘landing page’ with the most points (think of 1 point for every answer that is correctly assigned to an ending) will be the target page to which the user will be sent

in the event of a tie among two or more endings, the first ending in the series of endings is the one that will be chosen.. ie if endings A and C have the same ‘score’ (say 2) then ending A will be where the user is routed. 

if ending B and C have the same score (both greater than A) then ending B is the outcome. 

hope that makes sense and @Liz or @Gabi Amaral please correct my phrasing. 

thanks

des

I can’t believe you made it this stupidly bad. They should obviously execute in order, if conditions for ending A are met, show ending A. Otherwise, check for B, if conditions for B are met…

It’s basically impossible to build something worth anything using outcome quizzes because it’s built in the stupidest way possible.

I struggled with *maybe* a similar problem @NathanW, which I solved with Scoring.

Context: My quiz has multiple questions, and based on the answer profile I want to categorise the respondent as “type A” or “type B”.

Problem: The problem is that some answers, like in your case, will determine the Ending you get no matter what other characteristics you have. Let’s call them critical answers.

Solution: My workaround to this it’s been using Scoring (here). You can assign a score to each answer, and define endings based on the cumulative score (sum of all the score resulting from answers given).
Specifically, I’ve assigned a score disproportionately larger to the critical answers and for the two endings I’ve set score ranges capturing this disproportion.

example: Quesion 1 (critical)

• Answer X → score 1000
  • Answer Y → score 100

for other non-critical answers you can assign smaller scores, skewing the final result less significantly.

Endings:

• Ending A: if 0 < score > 999
  • Ending B: if score > 1000

and you can add more intervals, one for every ending you have.

Again: I have a simpler scenario than yours, given I only have two possible endings, but maybe can help

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Woow, I love your solution, @enomis! Why don't you create a post explaining this, sending screenshots and the link to your quiz? I'm sure it'd help a lot of folks here in the Community! 😍