Answered

Increment multiple order quantities with the 'number' question?

• 12 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi, I’d like to enable my customers to add additional quantities of each of my plant starts on my order form. So far, I’ve tried adding the ‘number’ question following my ‘picture choice’ question, but I have been unable to:

1. allow for increment quantities for multiple choices at the same time
  2. reflect the new total with my calculator
  3. limit quantities based on my inventory which I track in Google Sheets.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a better way of doing this? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 26 April 2021, 20:00

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @faulkenstein thanks for stopping by! Would you mind clarifying increment quantities? For example, does your customer select a plant and then select how many they’d like of that plant? Any further information you can provide here would be handy!

As for connecting to your current inventory, this isn’t a feature we currently offer. :( Though, this is a fantastic suggestion!

I have this same question - I need my customer to be able to select multiple quantities of multiple products. For example, I sell apples, pears, bananas and oranges. These are displayed as options on a picture choice question.

I need my customer to be able to select whichever of the fruits  they’d like, let’s say oranges and bananas, and then be able to choose how many of each they want (ex. 20 oranges, 30 bananas).

The skip logic and calculator feature do not seem to be able to account for this need. Even this help article (https://help.typeform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029299332-Shopping-basket-Multiply-by-quantity-selected-Classic-builder-) which lays out essentially this scenario does not seem to account for being able to select different quantities for each product selected. Please help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Henry - welcome to the community

a quick question: if you could preset the quantities ie static numbers/quantities, would something like this Matrix question ( in the new builder but not in the classic version) do the trick?

or would  something like this tshirt ordering demo work for you? it goes through the following:

• pick a coffee quote to go on a tshirt 
  • pick a size
  • how many of that shirt do you want 
  • gives you a summary of what you have so far and a pre-shipping cost to date
  • asks  you if you want to order a second shirt
    • if yes, repeats 
    • if no, goes to collecting the details for shipping and payment processing
  • asks if you want to order third shirt
    • same as above
    • kicks you out to shipping details after 3 shirts. 
  • there is a summary page instead of payment question, so that no one gets charged for a shirt. 

if you do try out the tshirt demo, and go to the end and submit with an email address note that i have turned off the email notification to the user as i was using this in a demo/workshop earlier in the week. 

hope one of these solutions might work for you. 

des

Hey Des, thanks for the response.

Unfortunately neither option would work for our intended purpose. I need my customer to be able to enter any quantity they’d like (from 1-1000) so that rules out the matrix. I also need my customer to be able to see all the products available at once and select which ones they’d like. For example, these are the fruits we sell - apples, oranges, pears, and bananas, select which fruits you’d like to order. Then they’d be able to input a specific quantity for the products they selected. Ex - customer selects apples and oranges. Next questions would ask how many oranges do you want? Then, how many apples do you want? With the ability to enter any number they’d like. Again the help form I linked basically lays out this structure but then leaves out how customers would be able to input different quantities for each different product they selected. 

Henry 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Henry - given the logic available inside the Typeform application today, you would have to select the products on one page then go through and present a follow up question for each product, asking for the quantity. once you have that info, you can use a logic statements along these lines:

• if answer is apples, go to q#_apples and have the user enter the the number they want in number question, 
  • then jump to a statement question that outlines what they ordered using the recall
    • you selected 10 (ie) apples - that will cost you $5 (10 x a value you entered as the price per apple - either as a variable or static value) 
    • if answer to which products was also pears, then jump to Q#_pears and do the same

it’s actually fairly simple logic, but since Typeform is not really designed as a data entry form solution, where you can dynamically create the type of form we all would like to see (ie i selected 5 products from the list so show me those five products and an entry field for quantity on the next page) we have to try and make it work in the structures they provide. 

so the basic logic progression is this:

• select a set of products from one page
  • use logic to evaluate which product page to go to next 
  • ask how many you want in a number question 
  • show a summary (if you want at this point) of what that product quantity will cost
  • evaluate if another product was selected and jump that page
    • repeat 
    • show summary
  • when all products are competed, show a summary order page with name, quantity and prices for each product bundle and total
  • place the order

it’s possible in the tool  - a little clunky in the way that Typeform works but it works for me in my retail storefront for the tshirts i am selling. 

cheers

des

Hi Des, again I appreciate your thorough response and valiant efforts to help me out.

All you laid out sounds great and I had experimented with the same structure before. The issue I ran into was being able to add those double layers of logic for displaying the quantity questions for multiple products. For example, out of four available fruits I select oranges and apples. I could logic link a follow on question asking for the quantity of apples based on - if answer “apples” go to q# asking for quantity. But I couldn’t figure out how to then ask - if (also) “oranges” go to q# asking for quantity of oranges. Basically I couldn’t figure out how to build the logic progression of bullet #5 in your list above. Any chance you could expand on this?

Thank you so much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi Des, again I appreciate your thorough response and valiant efforts to help me out.

All you laid out sounds great and I had experimented with the same structure before. The issue I ran into was being able to add those double layers of logic for displaying the quantity questions for multiple products. For example, out of four available fruits I select oranges and apples. I could logic link a follow on question asking for the quantity of apples based on - if answer “apples” go to q# asking for quantity. But I couldn’t figure out how to then ask - if (also) “oranges” go to q# asking for quantity of oranges. Basically I couldn’t figure out how to build the logic progression of bullet #5 in your list above. Any chance you could expand on this?

Thank you so much.

@Henry - here’s what the seven other voices in my head put together - based on 3 choices apple, pear and banana: 

• I/they (the voices) created a variable for each product called “prod_selected” ie apple_selected, pear_selected, etc. and set each one to “No” initially
  • i would also set ‘subtotal’ variables for each product ie apple_countprice, etc. to be able to get subtotals for each of the products.. 
  • on the product selection page (the multiple choice) you evaluate the variables as follows: 
    • if q1 is ‘apple’ then replace apple_selected with Yes
    • if q1 is ‘pear’ then replace pear_selected with Yes
    • if q1 is ‘banana’ then replace banana_selected with Yes
      • that sets how we will look at the logic jumps - for this case I am going to state that apple and banana have been chose (variables reset to Yes, and pear_selected stays at NO
    • next we determine where to go first, creating these logic rules:
      • if apple_selected is Yes, then go to q2 (apple input page)
      • if apple_selected is No and pear_selected is Yes, then go to q3 (pear input page) 
      • if apple_selected is No and pear_selected is No and banana_selected is Yes, then go to q4 (banana input page)
      • if all are NO, then jump to a Yes/No page that says “you did not select anything to order. If you want to select something, click Yes (send them back to the product selection page q1) or No to jump to an exit page
    • in the assumption we have apples yes and bananas yes (i am going make assumption that can wait to the end to calculate subtotals and total price but if you want you can add summary page after the quantity page) :
      • on the apple input page for quantity of apples you accept the input into the quantity of apples and then set the following logic rules
        • if q-answer is greater than 0, then add q-answer to apple_countprice variable
        • if apple_countprice variable is greater than 0, multiply apple_count variable by your_apple_price  (this puts the pxq value into the variable) 
        • if you use a statement page for displaying the apple summary then the next rule can go on that page, if  not use it on this one:
          • If pear_selected is Yes, then jump to q3 (pear_selected)
          • if pear_selected is No and banana_selected is Yes, then jump to q4 (banana_selected)
      • if the user had selected pear from the list, they would go to the pear quantity page and you would have to use the evaluation logic there 
        • if banana_selected is Yes, then jump to q4(banana_selected) 
        • if banana_selected is No, then jump to overall summary

that evaluation at the end of the quantity input or summary page for a product is the key to determining where to go. that is why i tend to create and use the is_selected type variables for each so that i can make it easy to keep the navigation flowing in a linear fashion as best i can. 

hope that helps answer the issue with ‘step 5’

des