Answered

Is this possible on Typeform?

Userlevel 1

Hey Typeform Community-

Highly curious to know if it’s possible to have a slide in our Typeforms that just provides standard information to the user?

An example might elucidate the question:

I’m working on a Decision Tree in which the user gets asked a series of Yes/No questions (whose responses get allocated into 1 of 4 unique variables as scores). At the end- based on the variable scores-- I’d love to refer them to their best course of action. There are four possible best courses of action.

I really want to be able to elaborate further in my own freestyle on their recommended best course of action. I believe this will be incredibly helpful to the user as well as give a better experience!

However- I’ve found the slide types are all question/information gathering slides… (Payment, Multiple Choice, Email etc etc). 

Any thoughts on this?

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 27 June 2021, 16:22

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Joseph - welcome to the community from a fellow user. 

This is fairly easily accomplished using Statement question(s) at the end of your questionnaire. If you are using the advanced logic, you can leverage the Branching/Calculations to create the scores and then, based on scores, route them to one of four statement pages - each one pertaining to one of your four possible outcomes. (I have done this in a variety of maturity assessments this way - here is a link to one of my ‘production’ assessments which you are welcome to walk through - if you provide a valid email address at the end, you will get an email version of the report as well) 

using the statement question, you can present as much information as you like (visuals are a little limited as this is NOT a landing page) about your recommendations. Then once the user clicks on the ‘next’ button, you can send them to unique ending pages for each stream … 

just a thought on how to make it work

des

Userlevel 1

@john.desborough - thanks for a warm welcome and the great, very very helpful advice. 

I’ve done so as you said. I’ll let you know how it comes out :)

I also took a look at your link- looks great!

Thanks for helping a stranger on the internet! It’s not taken for granted! 

Joseph

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Joseph - thanks for the kind words.. I hope it helps. let us know how it goes!

des

Userlevel 1

@john.desborough Hey again John! Pleased to announce that the Typeform is almost completed and it seems like its going to do well. So thanks again for your help! 

I just had three small questions for you as I think it would streamline the logic calculations as you had instructed me to do in the post above.

1. Is it possible to compare variables in the branching and calculations section?
    1. Ex: say I have 4 variables collected over the course of the Typeform: payroll, nrpayroll, Eor and contractor
      1. At the end of the Typeform, I want to refer them to a specific course of action based on whichever variable is the largest
      2. Logically- I would like to say:
        1. if payroll > eor AND payroll > nrpayroll ANDpayroll > contractors
          1. then jump to Action 1
        2. if eor > payroll AND eor > nrpayroll AND eor > contractors
          1. then jump to Action 2
        3. and so forth
    2. Currently speaking I just have hard coded all possible outcomes via the number of points each has received- but it’s not efficient as you might imagine. [I also know you can do greater than or less than, but it’s only applicable to a number score and not to another variable]
      1. ex: if payroll == 2, then jump to Action 1
      2. ec: if contractors == 10, then jump to Action 4

1. What’s the best practice for scoring anyway?

1. Due to this setup- a problem I’ve come across is if the questions aren’t answered in a certain manner that hold with the conditions in (1.2 “Currently speaking”), then the Typeform doesn’t work and doesn’t direct to an Action. (which is why I want to compare variables in the manner imagined in (1.1.2 “Logically”)

Any thoughts as to how to fix this? I’m happy to send screenshots if that helps! 

Thanks again @john.desborough 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Joseph - sorry I can’t answer it all right at the moment as i am constrained for time but here is a quick summary related to how i have approached the ‘rating’ of the highest score - for the purposes of this example i have used a,b,c,d as the options (which you can equate to your 4 total score variables) 

• i create a set of unique variables that calculates the VALUE of the combinations, something like this:
    • v_a_bigger_b, v_a_bigger_c, v_a_bigger_d, v_b_bigger_c, v_b_bigger_d, v_c_bigger_d
  • i create a set of TEXT variables and set the default to no
    • a_gt_b, a_gt_c, a_b_gt_d, b_gt_c, b_gt_d, c_gt_d
  • i compare the values for the v_x… values as follows
    • if a (the total score for the a variable) is LT 100 (assuming it is well beyond the actual range) THEN add a to v_a_bigger_b
    • If b is LT 100 Then subtract b from v_a_bigger_b
    • if v_a_bigger_b is GT 0 then replace a_gt_b with yes
    • if v_a_bigger_b is = 0 then replace a_gt_b with tied
    • (note - because the default is no for the text variable i don’t have to have the logic statement for the LT 0 
  • Once i go through all the combinations i can then compare the number of ‘yes’ statements to determine the right ending - the table below shows a brief summary of how i have had to go through this process to assign a score 

i know this seems convoluted but given the logic structures we have to follow, it’s more cumbersome than writing a whole series of sql statements to do the work. 

i had a client who had 12 variables/endings and possible ties, so we had over 4k logic rules in the typeform to be able to present the appropriately calculated ending within the typeform. 

I know it seems a nuts but it worked. 

des

Userlevel 1

@john.desborough Mr. Desborough,

It took a while, but I implemented the above and like magic- it worked. It took me some time to understand the reasoning behind the convoluted logic.. but I totally get it now.

You, kind sir, are a genius, I hope Typeform gives you a nice reward for the 1400+ replies you provide people like me.

​​​​​​​

Thanks again-

Joseph

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Joseph - congratulations! the seven other voices in my head salute you for following the logic paths lol. 

glad to hear it worked for you!

des

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

hello, @john.desborough ,

I have the same situation - out of 4 results I need to choose the biggest one. 
I tried to program it according to this tutorial, but I found that the typeform doesn't count the values (see the picture)

I tested it, and even though the score_blaze value is 11, bgtd still shows me zero. 
Same for score_dynamo. It just doesn't count, and I don't know why?

Could you please give me some advice? Thank you, Tomas

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Tomas - glad you are trying this.. based on the logic you showed it should work 

but i can’t really give you any advice without seeing the rest of the logic rules - could you take some more screen shots or a video showing the logic rules? 

that would help

des

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@john.desborough 
Hello, John, thank you for your reply. 
Here is link to my form. At the end of the questionnaire you can see the results for each group. The calculation of points for each group works, but other calculations do not (agtb, ..)
Here are the screenshots in the pdf document

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and why the calculation doesn't work..
Also, I don't know how to end it to get a final one result that sends me to final page 1,2,3, or 4..?

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@john.desborough

Hello again,  John,

something's changed! I moved the email to the top of the questionnaire and moved the A-D answers to Endings.
And suddenly it counts! (look at the screen).
So this part is hopefully solved, ugh. 😰
Now I "just" need to get "the YES and NO and TIED" to select a single (highest) number that links to the appropriate ending page. 

Can you please write me step-by-step how I should set up the rules for this operation? 
Thank you again 🙏🏻

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Tomas  - as much as i would like to be able to write out the detailed step by step for you, that would be some consulting work lol.. I won’t have time to look into this deeply until the weekend at this point, but i did do a quick scan of your pdf - wondering why you start with values in your cat_a etc of 10? 

If you can’t resolve it before the weekend, let me know and i will try to dig into it.. 

des

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Tomas  - as much as i would like to be able to write out the detailed step by step for you, that would be some consulting work lol.. I won’t have time to look into this deeply until the weekend at this point, but i did do a quick scan of your pdf - wondering why you start with values in your cat_a etc of 10? 

If you can’t resolve it before the weekend, let me know and i will try to dig into it.. 

des

I put the number 10 in there to stay in the positive values of the scale, but I've already deleted it and left it at zero. With the formulas counting as they should, it no longer made sense.
I'm sitting on this for the third day now, so I'm hoping I'm getting close to the final - I need the form to work on Tuesday..🙈

Anyway, I'm off to continue my research

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

des

I put the number 10 in there to stay in the positive values of the scale, but I've already deleted it and left it at zero. With the formulas counting as they should, it no longer made sense.
I'm sitting on this for the third day now, so I'm hoping I'm getting close to the final - I need the form to work on Tuesday..🙈

@john.desborough  I tried it this way, but it doesn't work. I think it's taking the default value of "NO" because it keeps popping up the answer D. I thought the previous rule would override "NO" to "YES", then it would probably work...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

des

@john.desborough 
Hello John,
I don't know what exactly I did, but the questionnaire is suddenly working!
I played with it all the next day, re-read all the threads on the Typeform forum, moved a few questions around, adjusted the ratings, and voila! 🤓 (At least so far all the tests have been successful).
Thanks for your support (although this time more mental lol) !
I am going to sleep for few days.. 😴

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Tomas - glad that worked.. now after you sleep, and you earned that btw, take a walk through it again and see if it still works the way you want.. just in case the lack of sleep is making you miss things lol. 

seriously, that is good news. I have 7 other voices in my head who help with the logic, so it can appear convoluted and difficult so i am glad you got it working. 

cheers

des