Answered

Matrix or Form with multiple choice: short answer or numbers

• 6 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I’m trying to create a form where someone can submit input multiple quantities (hopefully as a percentage or short answer) for multiple choices in a list as a single question. Ideally at the end of the list it would add up the quantities (as a percentage) that were input so that the user could see the total quantity before submission.

I’d also like to add a hyperlink to each multiple choice so that the user could see additional information about each multiple choice option.

Below is a link to see an example of a hard copy form that I’m trying to replicate in TypeForm.

Click here for Link to Form Example

~ Kyle

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 7 April 2021, 22:26

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @webberkyle. Welcome to the Typeform Community! :hugging:

There wouldn't be a way to ask for quantities in a list as a single question. As a workaround, you could add one question block for each item of the list. You can use the questions types described here. =)

Hope this helps! 

I have 50 items to choose from to add quantities to. So that would not work well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@webberkyle - this comes from a user - welcome to the Community

replicating paper order forms such as this in ANY survey tool on the market is going to be difficult to do, especially with the added hyperlink you describe. I have built those types of systems from the ground up for websites in previous lives and even with all of that, it is not the easiest to program. 

One of question types, the Matrix, has some potential to solve this - once the Typeform product developers can get the ‘logic, branching and calculations’ functionality figured out for the Matrix question type. As it stands now, there is no way to recall the inputs into a variable or other logic only trap them into a Google Sheet or Google Analytics upon submitting the form. 

I could see, eventually, a form like this one with some logic (some day) - see the bullets under the pic

my thinking on the logic, when available, would be along these lines

• if fund a selected, then add percent-selected to variable portfolio_total
  • if fund b selected then add percent-selected to variable portofolio_total
  •  continue for all funds in the list
  • if portfolio_total is greater than 100 then go to a summary question 1
    • recall the list of funds and percent-selected 
    • display message that your total selection is greater than 100 percent and that you might want to either print this list and think about which ones you want to adjust then come back and do the list again OR optin to get the output as an email and do the same review
  • if portfolio_total is less than 100 then go to summary question 2 
    • do the same as above with the exception that they could review and either leave as is or add more in another pass after they have reviewed on paper. 

that would be my wishful thinking to try and force a solution to this one page form.. but i would probably look to adopt some of the thinking that @Mariana was thinking by perhaps going into smaller questions and change my mindset from a paper metaphor , depending on the use case. 

these are just my thoughts on how the matrix question might be part of the solution once the logic arrives.. 

des