Answered

Multi-Select Branching Logic

• 10 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi! I am stuck in a super conundrum.

I am creating a service form for my company. We offer One-Time Services and Ongoing Services. I have created branching logic for that. My issue is that you can select multiple services and each service requires a set of questions to collect information BUT some service require the same questions.

I have 21 services to choose from in the One-Time Section and 8 services to choose from in the ongoing Section. 

The form has to work so that a client can pick one service, go through the questions and hit the ending page OR hit multiple services (with no repeat questions), go through the questions and hit the ending page. 

I am so lost….someone please help me stop tearing my hair out.

Here is a link to my form! 

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 10 November 2023, 04:59

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Gracie at Loganix - if you can show some screenshots of your logic map and logic rules, it will help us troubleshoot what you are trying to accomplish 

in the meantime there are the following post in the community to check out: 

let us know if that helps.. 

des

Yes of course! I created a loom video here: 

and here is the google sheet where all the services and service questions are mapped out: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k4nb48_BkrfiLh-HliH38DH7DQftXlnuPNAw_IFCQnc/edit?usp=sharing

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Gracie at Loganix - your video makes sense of what you want to do ...essentially you  want have the user select one or  multiple options from a multiple choice AND ensure that you take them to the follow up questions associated with their choices.. and only their choices. 

that’s a pretty common thing to do. the post i mentioned about should give you some indication on that 

a couple of things to note:

• using the question groups to hold the questions for a service is a good idea - yes there is some repetition across them (potentially) depending on the selections the user makes but it makes for ease of collection 
  • having all that mapped out in a spreadsheet before doing the questions and rules - a gold sticky star from me - good planning
  • the trick to the logic rules in this is that the ‘routing’ logic statements will have to be on the LAST question in each group - to check if the user selected the next question group 
    • ie in the selection question 
      • if q4 ia A go to qA 
      • if q4 is B go to qB 
      • etc
      • that will get you to the first of the choices they might make
    • on the last question in qA 
      • if q4 is B go to qB 
      • if q4 is C go to qC
      • etc
      • otherwise go to the end 
    • on the last question of qB 
      • if q4 is C then go to qC 
      • if q4 is D then go to qD
      • etc
      • otherwise go to end 
    • repeat for all choices  and on the very last question 
      • go to end

that should help. 

and, to be honest, since i have probably answered this question about 40 times this year in the Community under different headings, I actually created a cheat sheet for laying this type of scenario out - here’s link to a a post on my tips & tricks site (just launched about a month ago) where you can go to grab the cheat sheet if you want. 

[shameless promotion: you can also sign up to get the weekly ‘tip of the week’ newsletter on the site .. just sayin’]

cheers

des

this worked out so well thank you so much!!!!