Answered

Multiple Choice allowing no selection

• 8 December 2021
  • 14 replies

I have a multiple choice question which allows multiple selections. I also want to allow the user to not select any choiceI can’t find how to do this. I tried entering a range of 0-4 but no luck. Whatever I try the OK button doesn’t show up until I select a choice.

icon

Best answer by Liz 9 December 2021, 19:01

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Involve Happy Wednesday! Unless the question is required, you should be able to scroll and then see the ‘ok’ button appear so you can move past the question. 

If that isn’t working, would you mind sharing the URL of the form and the question so we can test it for you? :grinning:

Hi @Liz

I’ve done some more investigating, and it looks like the issue is with branching.

If the question doesn’t have branching the behaviour is as expected: the OK button is visible from the start and stays visible.

If the question does have branching: the OK button is not visible at first, it appears when an option is selected, and it stays visible even if you deselect all options. Is this a bug? I don’t see a reason for the OK button to not be visible from the start. (Annoyingly, the behaviour is different in Live preview, then the button disappears if you deselect all options)

I have made a small demo showing the different behaviours, but I will send it in a private message since I don’t want to share it publicly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Involve This is expected behavior. Once you’ve provided an answer, you should see the ‘ok’ button to move on in the form. I’m afraid we don’t have a way to change this, but I can share your feedback to our product team. 

Hi @Liz

Really? I find that very strange.

So, to answer a question with no option selected, I have to first select an option and then deselect it. Doesn’t seem like user friendly design.

Considering that it works as you’d want if the question doesn’t have branching only makes it harder to understand.

Why does it work differently with and without branching?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hm, you shouldn’t have to deselect it. The ‘ok’ button should appear once you scroll or provide an answer. If you’re not seeing this, do you mind sending a video of what’s appearing on the form and the URL of the form so I can test it, @Involve ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Involve! Were you able to solve your issue? If not, make sure to send us a screencast of what's showing in the form and the URL of it as well. Wishing you a great day! :wave_tone2:

Hi @Liz

The core of the issue is:

If the question has branching, the OK button is NOT visible from the start.

So I can’t answer the question without selecting an option.

I did send an URL to a form demonstrating the issue in a private message to you, since I don’t want to share it to everyone. Do you want me to send it again?

Also, I’m puzzled that this thread has been marked as answered. I certainly didn’t do that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Involve This is expected behavior. You’ll need to scroll past the question in order to see the ‘ok’ button appear. If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Hi @Liz 

What do you mean with “scroll past the question”?

As I said, there is no OK button until I select an  option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Involve Can you send the URL of the form you’re referencing? 

Sure @Liz, I’ll send it in a private message in a minute.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @Involve ! I’ll continue to respond here in this thread. :grinning: I do see that the second question doesn’t have the ‘ok’ button appear until you select an option. The user can scroll past the question, but they may not realize this, and for that reason, I would suggest turning on the progress bar, which will then show arrows at the bottom of the form to help them navigate. 

Thanks @Liz 

I finally get what you mean by “scroll past the question” since I tried scrolling until something happened. Strange feature.

I think we’ll just have to accept that this works how it works and move on.

I still don’t see why it’s different for branching and non-branching questions, but I’m not going to lose sleep over it. :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No worries - sorry for all the back and forth, @Involve ! It’s a confusing thing to describe. :joy:

I certainly hope you don’t lose sleep over it ha! But hopefully it makes more sense now how to get the button to appear/disappear.