Answered

Odd problem with Advanced Logic

Hello Typeform community members!

I’m having an odd problem with some logic when using the advanced setting. 
This is the first Typeform I’ve ever created, so please bare with me if it’s just me being a noob.

I’m creating a customer support ticket system that integrates with our FreshDesk portal and for the “product complaint” section I’m linking to the same logic tree from two individual places. 

One from when people go (3)Product → (6)Complaint; and then through the logic tree. 
The other is from (13)Order → (6)Complaint; and then directed to the same logic tree as the first sequence. 

It works perfectly from (3)Product → (6)Complaint, but even after linking to the same from (13)Order → (6)Complaint the logic fails. 

Please help! :-) 

I’ve attached some screenshots and the form at the bottom.

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 6 May 2021, 18:35

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@thenewhigh - welcome to the community from a fellow user

one of the issues that you have is that your logic is going back in the form - that causes potential logic problems (as you have seen) 

in this scenario you are going to overwrite your first pass through the q6 logic

• answer to question 3 goes to q6
  • user goes on to q13 and then back to q6 - 
    • any information collected as part of q3 into q6 will be replaced by the new entry into q6. including pathing 

you should look at the possibility of moving q6 later in your logic path and avoiding any loop back 

des

Hiall my questions do not appear when I edit the online form

what about this ?

THX

Best

@thenewhigh - welcome to the community from a fellow user

one of the issues that you have is that your logic is going back in the form - that causes potential logic problems (as you have seen) 

in this scenario you are going to overwrite your first pass through the q6 logic

• answer to question 3 goes to q6
  • user goes on to q13 and then back to q6 - 
    • any information collected as part of q3 into q6 will be replaced by the new entry into q6. including pathing 

you should look at the possibility of moving q6 later in your logic path and avoiding any loop back 

des

Thank you, John. 

From my understanding, when using Advanced Logic the loop back shouldn't be a problem? 
That’s what Typeform Support told me. 

I’ll move it further down. Much appreciated! 

That did it. With no loop-backs it works perfectly. 
Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@thenewhigh - glad to see that it worked. 

There are limited scenarios where the loop back is ok - ie at the end of a question group if you present the answers back to the user for example and say ‘are you happy with  your responses? if you are, click Yes otherwise click No to go back and replace your answers with what you feel is more appropriate’ - in this case you ARE giving the user the option to replace all the responses to date and the loop back is ok. 

when i was doing this on a t-shirt ordering site, i was allowing folks to order multiple tshirts but was losing the detail on the first (and then second and then third etc) the longer i let them go with loop back.. ended up with issues. I sort of figured it out and then validated it during an Office Hours session with three folks from Typeform as we tried to resolve it but could not. 

I’ve even played with loop counters and spitting answers out to variables but it does not work at this point (the way you could do it in a pure sql-driven data entry solution). 

glad to see it works for you !! 

des