Answered

Pairwise Scoring Logic

• 1 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello, I have an assessment tool with 10 text based variables.  Each of the variables is paired with another variable in a series of 45 “A or B” type questions.  I need to set up the back end logic to take the results of all the pairwise questions and rank them “most chosen to least chosen” and then redirect based on what variable is most chosen.  Here’s an example below.  Lets say there are four variables, A, B, C and D.  That would then require six questions of non-repeating pairwise choices.

1. A or B
  2. A or C
  3. A or D
  4. B or C
  5. B or D
  6. C or D

Lets say the respondent chooses C for three of the questions, B for two of the questions, A for one question, and never D.  C would be the highest ranked variable and I would like to redirect the respondent to a page that describes the qualities of C.

Can someone help me understand how to write the logic and then the ending questions?

THANK YOU!

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 4 October 2022, 03:51

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @MeredithW1 Welcome to the community! The easiest way to go about this would be to set up an outcome quiz. In this, you can map certain endings based on the responses provided, which would save you a lot of time instead of setting logic jumps. Would this work for you? 😀

Userlevel 1

No @Liz that doesn't meet our objectives. I need to count and score based on what I describe above. Can you please explain to me how to set up the variables and logic?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m not sure this would be easily possible - @john.desborough have you seen this done before? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@MeredithW1 @Liz 

i would suggest that you need to create 4 variables - v_a_score, v_b_score etc

then for each question you would assign a point to to the appropriate variable based on the selection ie

• if q1 = A then add 1 to v_a_score
  • if q1 = B then add 1 to v_b_score.. 

then at the end you would need to evaluate if there was a unique high point total of 3 ie

• if v_a_score = 3 then go to the ending for A as high score 
  • if v_b_score = 3 then go to the ending for B as high score 
  • etc.. 

the trick comes down to how you break a tie when there are 2 that score 2 points …. then you need a tie breaker question 

• if v_a_ = 2 and v_b_ = 2 then go to tiebreaker question for AB_tied
  • if v_a+ = 2 and v_c_ = 2 then go to tiebreaker question for AC_tied.. 

etc.. 

des

Userlevel 1

@john.desborough this is great.  Thank you!  As a refining question, when I make the variables they presumably need to equal “text” as a dropdown and then do I need to fill in the variable name in the text box?  E.g. @v_A_score = Text  A

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

you need the variables to be numeric as you will be adding a 1 to the variable in the logic rule for the question

Userlevel 1

@john.desborough  oooh I think I figured it out!  And the tiebreaker is solved if I have an odd number of choices instead of even.  Great!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@MeredithW1 - yay!   onward!