Answered

Passing responses to answers

• 23 February 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I would like to know how can I pass the responses of question 1 as answers for question 2.

Thanks!

Example:

Question 1. Which of the following fruits do you know?

1. Papaya
  2. Pitahaya
  3. Lulo
  4. Grapes
  5. Melon
  6. Banana

Users selects:  Papaya, Grapes, Melon and Banana

Question 2.  Which fruits have you ever tried?

1. Papaya
  2. Grapes
  3. Melon
  4. Banana
  5. None of them
icon

Best answer by Mariana 24 February 2021, 13:29

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Mr. Lorey  - I want papaya! :sob:  It’s been too long since I’ve had it. 

It isn’t possible to pass the answers selected from one question to the next but you could setup variations of the question and only show the questions then that apply using logic jumps following this process. The process would be a bit more time consuming, but would that solution help? :grinning:

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks a lot for your reply @Liz !

Yes, technically I can add a question per selection, but this will increase the number of questions the user will have to respond, with the consequent risk of participants dropping off.

Thanks a lot!

Lorey

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Mr. Lorey. :) 

Another workaround would be using the Recall information feature to add the options to the question itself, and not into the options. For example:

Question 1. Which of the following fruits do you know?

• Papaya
  • Pitahaya
  • Lulo
  • Grapes
  • Melon
  • Banana

Recalled from the previous question: Papaya, Grapes, Melon, Banana.

Consider them A, B, C and D ☝🏻

Options for the user to select: 

• A
  • B
  • C
  • D

This way, the user would check the description of the question (where the recall information will be placed), and select the options considering that. Not ideal but depending on your use case, it might work. I know @john.desborough has built something like this so he might have more insights about this workflow too. :) 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I like this option. I am going to give it a go. Thanks @Mariana 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sounds great, @Mr. Lorey! Let us know if you have any questions when trying it out 👏🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Mr. Lorey. :) 

Another workaround would be using the Recall information feature to add the options to the question itself, and not into the options. For example:

Question 1. Which of the following fruits do you know?

• Papaya
  • Pitahaya
  • Lulo
  • Grapes
  • Melon
  • Banana

Recalled from the previous question: Papaya, Grapes, Melon, Banana.

Consider them A, B, C and D ☝🏻

Options for the user to select: 

• A
  • B
  • C
  • D

This way, the user would check the description of the question (where the recall information will be placed), and select the options considering that. Not ideal but depending on your use case, it might work. I know @john.desborough has built something like this so he might have more insights about this workflow too. :) 

@Mariana @Mr. Lorey 

all i can say is ‘arghh’ .. it is not the optimal way to address this - yes it would be lovely to have the ability to use a response dynamically in a question list (puhleeeeeze Typeform!!) but that is going to be a tough nut to crack imho. 

I have used the method of creating the various branches of logic for symptom surveys for COVID in a school setting with the logic along the lines of this: if a user selects one symptom - say A- (and not the NO Symptoms answer) of the list then go to this statement question, if a user selects A and B then go to that statement question, if a user selects A and any of the others but not B then go to a third statement question, etc.. lots of logic statements and you have to do it for each of the options ie if A , if A and B, if A and C, if A and D, if A and E, if A and B and C, if A and B and D, …. yadda yadda yadda… and you have to stay awake long enough to check that each appropriate combination is done correctly.. 

this is why i am waiting on the Matrix question type to have the recall and logic capability built in behind it (nudge nudge @Mariana lol) 

I was also trying to do something similar to what you describe relative to testing out which “tshirt quotes/slogans” people liked out of a set of 5 multiple choice questions - where you could select your favorite from each of the 5 presented pages, then recall the choices into the description of a ranking question and actually label the ranking choices with the recalled variables. That labeling bit was a no go but what i did do was use labels like “A in list above” “B in list above” ...etc.. and capture the selections from the recall list and match to the ranking results in a Google Sheet (parsed out the rank cell entry) and linked to the recalled values.. This let me take, for example, YOUR selections and ranked order and THEIR selections and ranked order, and HIS and HERS, etc. and then tabulate my aggregates and then will be able to use the details to match back to an email to the user to tell them that their Nth choice of tshirt has made the top ten list and will be printed and available for purchase as of March first … 

that’s a longwinded “yeah it works but it is not that fun on the logic” statement BUT two different options that i have used to try and brute force it .. there is most likely a more elegant solution with the APIs and Webhooks but “I ain’t there yet”…. 

coffee is grand! (in Canada” try GothRider coffee.. excellent 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

While I’m sure you have plenty of coffee to stay awake to check the logics, @john.desborough , I definitely agree it’s not the most ideal situation! I, too, would love the recall variable feature in answers as well, so I’ll note this suggestion! :) Hopefully we can add some more options in the future!