Answered

Personality Quiz: How to fix a tie in results?

• 21 January 2022
  • 10 replies

Hi community,

I’m creating a personality quiz with 6 possible personality/archetype results. There are 11 questions with six options each in a MCQ format, each option corresponding to a archetype. However, I realised there can be several instances of a tie in result which a normal outcome quiz doesn’t cater to. Do you know how I can use variables and/or branching + calculations to fix this?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 24 January 2022, 19:42

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @FormScore Happy Monday! Welcome to the community. If possible, I would adjust the form as much as possible to avoid any ties since it would create a lot of work to set jumps to accommodate for those ties. 

@john.desborough or @Paulo do either of you have any tricks to prevent tie issues? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@FormScore @Liz - if an outcome quiz, not easy to do … in a scoring quiz, it is easy enough to do .. this is similar to what i have been doing with other scoring/ranking quizzes in terms of evaluating high scores for product recommendations or maturity matrix style to provide recommendations. 

easiest way is to determine two or more are tied and then ask a tie-breaker question. 

des

@FormScore @Liz - if an outcome quiz, not easy to do … in a scoring quiz, it is easy enough to do .. this is similar to what i have been doing with other scoring/ranking quizzes in terms of evaluating high scores for product recommendations or maturity matrix style to provide recommendations. 

easiest way is to determine two or more are tied and then ask a tie-breaker question. 

des

can you share a few examples of the logic you use?

Hello everyone,

I'm setting up a personality quiz.

I wanted to know on a technical level how to manage the possibility of a tie, with the same answers relating to two profiles, which profile does the system address to?

Is there the possibility to insert a hierarchy among the answers? How can I fix it? 

Thanks in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@C.valotta I added your post here where we have some answers. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@C.valotta @Liz - one thing to keep in mind if you are using an ‘outcome quiz’ and there is a tie, the user will be routed to the ending closest to the top of the list of endings.. 

for example:

• if you have 4 endings - A, B, C, D
  • if A and C are tied in the outcome scoring, Typeform defaults the routing to ending A (it comes before C) 
  • if Band C are tied at the highest, B will be the default routing

so if you have only two profiles for your endings, have them listed in the ‘hierarchy’ YOU want by ending A, B, C… progression.. 

hope that makes sense … 

des

In response to the above feedback, could you please give an example of resolving tie-breakers with scoring? Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @dharmadojo It may be worth looking at the post below! 

Hi all, I’ve has a look into a few already answered questions and I can’t seem to translate what’s already here to my query, so I’ll try and be as clear and concise in the below as possible!

I’m trying to create a personality style quiz that has 6 questions with three possible answers: A, B, or C.

The ending screens I’d be looking for are 7 total, 3 simple endings: Mostly As, Mostly Bs, and Mostly Cs, these are easy enough.

The difficulty I’m finding is when the possibility of a tie in answers comes up, how do I path the logic for a second set of Combination A&B, Combination A&C, Combination B&C, Combination A,B&C?

Any insights would be wonderful, as this is seriously confusing me!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @LaurenSBC , thanks for getting in touch, moving your question to this existing thread where some folks have discussed solutions previously.

My advice personally would be in line with what @Liz suggests - to find a way of making sure there are no ties by adjusting the number of questions/options in the form. If you’re tied (pardon the pun) to those questions and options then have a look at @john.desborough ‘s answer above.