Skip to main content
Question

Question about good questions

• 28 June 2021
  • 8 replies

I just started out as a virtual assistant and wanted some great questions to get to know my clients. Can someone suggest what they think will be an insightful question to getting to know if the client will be difficult or reasonable to work with? 
Thanks a lot. 

Hi @Kay M welcome to the community! This is a really great question. For me personally, I have questions on my contact forms that ask about what services my future clients are interested and the style because style makes a huge difference as to whether or not I’ll want to work with them. 

You could ask something like that or where they’re at in the process of finding a VA. When I first started looking for a VA, I liked the forms that asked specifically what I was looking for help with because then they could email back as to whether or not that was something they offered without too much back and forth. You could also ask how they prefer to communicate and how many hours they’re looking to hire someone for. 

@paul you don’t happen to have any question suggestions by chance, do you? 

And @vickioneill have you hired a VA and would know of any good questions? :grinning:

What challenges/problems keep you up at night? (Might give you an idea of how you can help) 

If you could change one thing about your business that would have the biggest impact, what would it be? (Most times people know what to do, but don't have the bandwidth/courage/ know-how to follow through).

If you could accomplish one goal this month/quarter/year, what would it be? (What matters most right now) 

If your business (or you) could be known for one thing, and only one thing, what would it be? (Gives you an idea of their strategic direction) 

What do you care about most in your business (or work)? Why that? (Similar question to above but might produce a different or more nuanced answer) 

If you only had 90 days left to live, what would you do with the time you have remaining? (Reveals true priorities)  

@paul  - great set of questions. 

I like to throw in “if you were a superhero, which one would it be and how would you use your superpower(s) to make a difference” (Helps to show self awareness)

des

Great questions, @paul , @john.desborough and @Liz ! 

If there’s someone in your life, @Kay M (friend, family member, client, etc.) that lights you up and you wish you could have ALL those people as your VA, list the top 3 characteristics of why this person would make a great VA. You can use that as a guide for types of questions to ask.

For example, if there’s someone who is fun to be around, hates being late to anything and takes charge when it comes to making plans, you might consider asking these types of questions:

• Tell me about a time that you missed a deadline/under-delivered on a project and how you handled it with your manager. (this reveals whether they are deadline driven as well as their character in how they handled a missed deadline)
  • When was the last time you celebrated a win at work - and what was it for? (this will tell you if they have fun while still being focused on goals)
  • What was the last event you planned and the role you played in it from idea to execution to follow-up? (this will tell you how well they collaborate/team player and ‘herd cats’, planning, follow-through). 

Let us know how it goes! 

Oh wow, love all of these! Thanks @paul @john.desborough and @vickioneill !!

Great questions, @paul , @john.desborough and @Liz ! 

If there’s someone in your life, @Kay M (friend, family member, client, etc.) that lights you up and you wish you could have ALL those people as your VA, list the top 3 characteristics of why this person would make a great VA. You can use that as a guide for types of questions to ask.

For example, if there’s someone who is fun to be around, hates being late to anything and takes charge when it comes to making plans, you might consider asking these types of questions:

• Tell me about a time that you missed a deadline/under-delivered on a project and how you handled it with your manager. (this reveals whether they are deadline driven as well as their character in how they handled a missed deadline)
  • When was the last time you celebrated a win at work - and what was it for? (this will tell you if they have fun while still being focused on goals)
  • What was the last event you planned and the role you played in it from idea to execution to follow-up? (this will tell you how well they collaborate/team player and ‘herd cats’, planning, follow-through). 

Let us know how it goes! 

Wow/ This was great! Thanks for your response!

Thanks everyone! These were fantastic!

Glad it helped, @Kay M ! Let us know if you think of any other questions. :grinning: