Answered

Question Order Logic

• 7 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey everyone! I think the answer to my question will be straightforward, and probably not the answer I want!

We have a form that asks people about their reading habits. One question asks if they’d like to start with questions about fiction or non-fiction.

Currently, if they click “non-fiction”, it goes to the next set of questions (non-fiction), followed by the fiction set of questions.

If they answer “fiction” first, it skips the non-fiction set of questions and goes on to the fiction set.

Is it possible to then go back and answer the non-fiction set?  At the moment, I’ve duplicated the non-fiction set to appear after fiction, but it seems an inefficient way of gathering data.

I just wonder if there’s a clever way of branching these questions so that I don’t have two separate identical sets of questions?

Thanks!

Tom

icon

Best answer by Liz 7 October 2021, 16:36

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @tom.harris Thanks for stopping by the community! Your current setup is the best setup, and this is because if you have any logic jumps on the form, our forms don’t support backwards logic jumps. So, you’d want to be sure the respondent is always moving forward in the form regardless instead of backwards (which can sometimes cause issues). 

Hopefully this provides a bit of clarity, but if you think of any other questions, please let me know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@tom.harris - did you use question groups to organize the ‘sets’ of questions or just linear approach? 

whichever method you use, as @Liz mentioned, you don’t want to send the user backwards.. especially if there is a possibility that the logic paths may over-write something. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for clarifying, @Liz!

Hi @john.desborough - I used sets of questions (which made it easier to duplicate the set I needed).  It’s not the end of the world having 2 of the same set of questions, but makes it less straightforward to analyse the answers.