Answered

Randomize outcomes in a quiz?

• 7 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi guys, 

We have a 10 question personality quiz with 50 potential outcomes. Because its supposed to be a funny quiz, we’re seeking to show the respondent a random outcome whenever they take the quiz. Do you know how I would be able to do this? 

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 7 October 2021, 18:26

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @DIRKB Happy Thursday! Thanks for stopping by. I hope you share the quiz when you’ve finished building it because I need a good laugh ha!

We don’t have a way to randomize the outcomes, but @john.desborough once had a solution for randomizing questions (I believe, I could be wrong) that may apply!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz - i can’t recall that randomizing questions solution at all .. blame it on old age.. but i will look to see if i can come up with something lol

@DIRKB - one of the things that you could do to create some form of randomness, again this is not knowing your quiz at all,  is to ask the user to input a number between one and 50 at some point in your question - maybe something along the lines of “Ok, seriously, how many people do you think will complete this quiz in the next day? enter a number between one and 50 below and we will see how good your guess is”. put it in the middle of the quiz .. 

this would give you something that you could then apply some random calculations to flip the number around in an “almost random number generator” approach - or not - and then use the result to point to an ending ie if they input 10 then jumpto ending 10 ..  if you use the random calcs, you can use a range eval in the logic rule to route to a different ending as well.. all depends on how you want to do it.. 

Thanks Liz and John! 

John, great suggestion, I’m going to give it a shot and will let you know how we go :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes! Let us know how it goes, @DIRKB .

Adding a request for this functionality!!!!  I’m seeking to do something very similar - assign a phrase to participants in a workshop at random, have them work on that problem for a 10 minute activity

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@JMRG - this is one way that might work: 

• use google sheet to store the user info including contact email, the url string to the typeform AND a field containing a formula that generates a random number between, say, 1 and 100 for the user - create a field that a concatenated URL string that includes the random number as a hidden field to be passed to the typeform 
  • set up a macro or use an add-in for the sheet that will allow you to update the random number,  generate and send an email to the user ‘on demand’ - if you are facilitating the session and want users to get a new phrase every 10 minutes 
  • in typeform create the hidden field and then set up the logic rules to start with the hidden field: if hidden field = X then replace variable_phrase with ‘this phrase’  and then on the working question, display the variable_phrase using @recall function 
    • yes it means setting up the logic rule statement for each of the 100 (in my example of random number range) but once it is done, you can reuse the form in other sessions.. 

just a thought