Answered

require zip code?

• 25 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi, I need to require a zip code on my form. Obviously, not possible.

I can’t set a minimum number because the smallest zip code in the US starts with a zero, which typeform will just ignore.  Any workarounds to this?

It needs to be open to all zip codes in the US. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 26 July 2022, 17:25

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @SmallBiz Sidekick Happy Tuesday! I hope you’re having a great week so far. The easiest thing I could think of would be to add a numbers question to the form and then mark it required. It wouldn’t be able to check if the information entered is correct, but it might save you some hassle. 

@john.desborough have you seen any workarounds for this? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks @Liz! That’s what i’ve done, but it doesnt stop someone from inputting just 2 numbers and moving on. I can’t figure out the logic for a wrong input redirect either.

Since this is for a quote request, we have to have some idea what the shipping will be (and need to know the zip code).

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz @SmallBiz Sidekick - unfortunately this is a use case that is not really resolved well EVEN OUTSIDE Typeform: there are zip codes, postal codes etc that are of different formats around the world

(it’s a wonderful business opportunity for someone to create a ‘developer’s app’ that provide the lookup and validation against a given country’s system) 

What I have done in a couple of cases is to set the field to a short text field and ask folks to enter the zip/postal code - field is mandatory. 

THEN on a confirmation email i present the address with the zip code and ask them to validate it for shipping purposes. 

for one client, we created two drop down questions - one for US and one for Canada - and listed all the current zipcodes and postal codes in the respective questions. (ok it was a really ugly long list and the client did NOT want to break it down by state and use the “select your state” drop down list to route the user to the zip code selection question for that state) 

only drawback to using a drop down approach is that you need to keep it updated.. if someone can’t find their code in the list, you have to  deal with the exception in the logic rule

my tuppence

des

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thank @john.desborough! This is a great workaround. I will definitely use it for shopping/ecomm purposes. Since this is a for a quote request (meaning the client will reach out regardless), I think I’ll skip it for now and just have the client ask for clarification if people don’t input it correctly. 

It’s like - which is the bigger hassle 🤣

Thank you as always!!!!