Answered

Reversing scores for likert /opinion scale questions

• 11 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

Someone kindly explained how some question items could be reversed once transferred to a Google Sheet ot excel spreadsheet but I have a question!

Can you do reverse scoring (questions from 1-5 , but some of these have opposite scoring such as a 5=1, 2=4 etc) inside Typefrom using the scoring function?  

What would be the easiest way to do this - thanks!

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 11 March 2021, 15:55

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Kristianlb - you could do that with variables and logic/calculations for each question of your set that requires the transformation

des

Userlevel 1

Thanks John! 

So to do that am I selecting ‘Logic’ ‘simple’ and then the tab ‘score quiz’ to assign scores to questions or am I selecting ‘Advanced logic’ and then ‘variables’ or ‘branching and calculations’ ? 

It’s not that obvious!!

Thanks in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Kristianlb - you would have to use the Advanced logic functions. create the necessary variables in the variables area and then in the logic area set up your rules. 

maybe something like this

• create variable q1_to_flip = 0 and q2_to_flip=0
  • logic rules
    • If q1 is equal to 1, then add 5 to q1_to_flip; if q1 is equal to 2 then add 4 to q1_to_flip; if q1 is equal to 4, then add 2 to q1_to_flip; if q1 is equal to 5, then add 1 to q1_to_flip
    • same for q2 

i did not need to flip an answer of 3

now when the submit button is pushed. you will have all the question responses from the native questions and all the variables stored as well.. you will just need to deal with them in the back end. 

des

Userlevel 1

Hi John,

Okay that’s very clear! So either that ot doing it in Google Sheets/excel as you suggested last time?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi John,

Okay that’s very clear! So either that ot doing it in Google Sheets/excel as you suggested last time?

Thanks!

@Kristianlb - i would say yes to that. either one. personally, i would do it in the Google Sheet as I control that transform and logic at my end. While it would work in Typeform in the logic rules, it seems to add complexity to the form - firm believer in trying to keep it simple.

just my thoughts. the good folks here from Typeform may have some better answers. 

des