Skip to main content
Answered

Riddle me this about Outcome quiz mapping algorithm

• 15 July 2021
  • 5 replies

When you are mapping the answers to questions in an Outcome quiz (using the simple logic within Typeform), what is the ‘default’ routing that Typeform implements if there is a tie in the outcome-mapping scoring? 

For example:

this quiz has three questions but only one is mapped to the three possible outcomes, so there is no chance of a tie. 

a variation of the same quiz, here, has mappings for all three questions pointing to the appropriate ending. If you manage to pick answers that result in a 3-way tie (in this example that is easy to replicate with only three questions - see the mapping logic below and choose an answer from each question that points to a different category/ending), it seems to automatically go to ending A, the first one in the list. 

Is this the default for the Outcome Quiz logic, regardless of how many questions are mapped, if there is a tie? ie always to ending A? 

Hi @john.desborough :grin: You are correct! The default in general is the first outcome, so if there is a tie, it would send the respondent to Outcome A. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! Though, I’ll probably be the one asking you all the questions. :joy:

@Liz - so the moral of the story is that you really do need to make sure that your quiz has the appropriate number of questions and mappings to make sure that you get people to the outcomes you want - since you can’t address a tie. that and organize your endings in ‘the best order for your business’

OR 

you have to make it a scoring-type quiz in order to be able to control the mapping and the ability to break ties the way you want them to be broken. 

Maybe the Help articles could add the ‘default ending in the even of a tie’ commentary into the Outcome Quiz doco as a tip/sidenote??

just a thought

des

I’ve shared that feedback with the lovely folks on the Help Center team, @john.desborough ! Thank you!! :grin:

@john.desborough They’re adding a note into the article! :heart_eyes:  They say thank you and your coffee. :joy:

@Liz - as they say in the Tesco’s ads in the UK (or used to...) “every little helps”!