Answered

Use Scroring as prices

• 5 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Hello,

we will use typeform as a configurator for a product set. The customer will choose from around 100 different products and I want to show the price of the set live, during the choosing process. We will NOT use the payment module. The customer will get a manual quote from us after he completed the form.

• I am aware how price calculation works. BUT I do not want to add 100 different conditions for each product. As 
  • Instead I would like to use the score functionality and simply give a score to each answer (each product)
  • Problem with the score is, that it only accepts full number (1,9€ is not possible only 1 or 2)

My idea was to use the score and use 19 for 1,9€ and simply divide the core by 10, when we want to show the price. Problem is, that I can only recall the “score” and NOT “score divided by 10”. Also I can at a certain point do a calculation, where score is added to another variable and this variable is divided by 10. But I cannot get a live price during the choosing process.

Is there any way to define a variable as “Score divided by 10”?

Is there any other smart solution to this probem?

Regards

Jan

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 7 April 2024, 17:18

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Jan2 Thank you for sharing a bit about what you’re looking to set up - this was helpful!

I’m afraid it wouldn’t be possible to show the score at the end as a divided number. @john.desborough might have a workaround for this, but in the meantime, I would suggest using Formless for more advanced calculations. I’ve been testing it out, and it’s definitely a lot faster for calculations like this!

Hello @Liz: Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I would not like to change the product and set up everything again + pay the doubled fee for Formless. It also would have some other disadvantages for us. That is why I am trying to find a solution for us.

@john.desborough: Did you see our request and do you have a hint for a workaround? That would be really great, if you have an idea on how to implement this function.

Regards

Jan

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jan2 - apologies but other client work and life got in the way.. 

please show a screenshot of how you are creating the ‘score’ for the pricing - that will help … if you are using the @score variable, it won’t work. 

How are you getting the user to select the product(s)? is it one only? is it a multi-select multiple choice? 

Do you allow the user to select multiples of the same product?

showing how you have built the process will make it easier to understand how to solve for this 

BUT, in essence:

• you would need to create a custom variable (ie v_order)
  • you could create a custom variable for each product price that you will use in the calculations (i know this seems to be a lot of effort up front but it does allow you one single place to go into your form and update the pricing as they change) 
  • and store the values into it for each selection - based on single item selection, the example below is hypothetical multi-select multiple choice question
    • if q1 = product-A then add v_price_A to v_order
    • if q1 = product-B then add v_price_B to v_order
    • if q1 = product-C then add v_price_C to v_order
    • if q1 = product-D then add v_price_D to v_order
  • if the user selects A and D then the prices for those two products are added to the total v_counter. 
  • based on that type of accumulation of value into v_counter, you could divide by 10 in your original statement or by 100 if you entered your price in cents/pennies
    • if v_counter is greater than 0 then divide v_counter by 10 .. the value of v_counter is now in the ballpark of what you were describing above. 

if you want to allow for product selection(s) and then add the quantity,  you would need to have a separate set of question logic to allow for the number of units of each selected project to be entered and then update your calculations and value dump into v_order (my name from above) 

hope that helps

des

@john.desborough: Thanks a lot for the great answer! I really see that you have thought about the issue….

Here is the screenshot of our form:

How are you getting the user to select the product(s)? => User sees a list of products. He can select the products. Each product is an “answer” in the form, which has a score.

is it one only? => Multiple items.

is it a multi-select multiple choice? => multiple select.

Do you allow the user to select multiples of the same product? => currently not. I would love this functionality, but I assumed, this is not possible, as the logic is, that the product is an answer. And the answer can only be choosen once.

About your proposal:

I think I understand your approach. But I think the probel is that the calculation is only done once. I think in my case I could also do the following:

• I give a score to each product
  • I divide the score by 10 and transfer this value to a new variable
  • This variable is then the total price.

The problem is here also, that I can do this calculation only once. So I can show the final price at the end of the choosing process. But I would like to show it “live” so that this custom variable is updated permanently.

Is that understandable?

Probably I also misunderstood your suggestion and the method you describe, permanently updates the values.

Regards

Jan

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jan2 - there is no way to show a ‘live’ total each time i click on a new item in your question ie select the item at the right hand side of row 1 and see current total at the top, then click item at end of row 2 and see the combined total at the top.

the tool does not work that way - the ‘answers’ are only available for logic once the user clicks the ‘ok’ (default name) at the bottom of the question.  

this part of your screen: 

will only show the selections of those values coming INTO the question and not change as you select an item. 

des

@john.desborough: Thanks for your explanation! Then we will either show the final amount at the end of the survey or work with the score function and round the prices to full numbers :-)

Jan

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jan2 - let us know how it goes!

des