Answered

Validate Credit Card Details Without Charging Credit Card (Form)

• 3 April 2021
  • 7 replies

I’m attempting to create a form that will validate credit card details without charging the users credit card. 

I configured Stripe and created a payment field with an item value of $0.00. However, the submission screen presents me with the captured error. 

Does anyone know if Stripe/TypeForm allows a $0.00 transaction, and if it does not - is there a method to confirm credit card details without accepting a payment. 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by picsoung 7 April 2021, 00:31

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Gabriel Whittemore - Welcome to the community!

this comes from a fellow user.. that is an interesting question - what is the use case? just to make sure that the user’s card will be able to be charged after, say a free trial period or an upgrade to a paid plan? 

I use the Stipe integration myself but other than setting the settings to allow for test data to be passed, i had not looked into the scenario.. what i found on Stipe’s site is this article. This article here is referred to within the prior article and covers some of the technical details. 

there is also an article on putting amounts on hold for an account - like a hotel putting the room charge on hold till you check out. you can find it in the left side menu on the stripe help site 

hope that helps.. 

des

@john.desborough - thank you!

It’s actually a request from a client. The client would like to validate users have a valid credit card before proceeding in collecting contact information. They believe it will narrow down contact follow-up time and help them identify serious customers.

Ironically, they utilize a different system to collect payments, so they have no interest in storing CC information for a later billing period.

Appreciate the links - reading them now!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@john.desborough - thank you!

It’s actually a request from a client. The client would like to validate users have a valid credit card before proceeding in collecting contact information. They believe it will narrow down contact follow-up time and help them identify serious customers.

Ironically, they utilize a different system to collect payments, so they have no interest in storing CC information for a later billing period.

Appreciate the links - reading them now!

@Gabriel Whittemore - that’s a wee bit backwards, says me logic brain, and i would certainly want to make sure that the client had his PCI compliance in order if he was taking my credit card number to validate BEFORE getting contact information.. 

just saying that it sounds a little backwards.. but, to each his/her/their own. hope you can find a solution that works 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Gabriel Whittemore 

Unfortunately at the moment with the current state of Stripe integration with Typeform we can’t prevent to charge the card collected.

And the card can only be charged once. So you can’t use this integration to collect the credit card details first and use them later to process a payment.

If the form is used for lead generation there are probably other tricks to use to score leads and make sure only relevant people go through it.

Hi all, I just recently joined Typeform to collect pledges for an upcoming fundraiser. I used the pledge form template from Typeform, but I don’t want the pledges to be charged. I’ll need to run them the day of the fundraiser through the fundraising organization. Is there a way to collect the credit card data without charging the cards?   

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @aimmiami Happy Friday! I added your post here where we have some possible workarounds for you. 😀

Thanks, Liz!