Answered

Was the "Record Your Answer" Button removed?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Has there been a change to the VideoAsk Work Flow that removed the “Record your answer” button?  Scenario:  When the Open Ended option is chosen and there are two or more options selected (Video, Audio, Text) then the buttons appear to select which option you want to use to answer a question.  However, if only the Video Option is available, then the Record Your Answer Button is removed, and the user goes directly to the record option.  Is this a bug, or a new work flow?  Removing the button for someone to select before recording adds clutter and really doesn’t follow good psychometric principles for Question Answer flow.  I really hope this is just a bug, and not a feature.  Thanks. 

Just noticed that in Build mode the Button appears. In live or preview mode, it is missing.  I have added screenshots.

icon

Best answer by andrew_videoask 18 October 2022, 16:31

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @G.Fisher I moved your post under the VideoAsk category. Be sure to label any VideoAsk questions under those categories to get the fastest response! 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi there, @G.Fisher 👋

I just tried to reproduce the issue you’re experiencing, but I see the “Record your answer” button both in the Build preview and the live version.

Can you please share the link to your videoask so I can dig deeper into this for you?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@andrew_videoask Hi Andrew, for the Open Ended Option, do you have only one option available like just Video?  This is when it happens.  I have three VA built and before yesterday they all worked fine.  But now they all are missing the Record your answer.  Here is a link to one:  https://demo.virscout.com/fn56dk6zx?preview

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@andrew_videoask here is one I just put together for a test:

https://www.videoask.com/f9ojz7elz?preview

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@G.Fisher Here’s what I’m seeing in the first link:

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

still not working on our end.  And I have tried it on several computers.  here is what I see.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@andrew_videoask there is no button to press.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@G.Fisher What browser(s) are you using?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@andrew_videoask Chrome

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@andrew_videoask Andres, here is how I reproduced the problem using Safari.  It happens after VA asks for permissions to use the video.  Once I say yes to permissions, then the button for all subsequent video answers disappears.  It has something to do with giving permission.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@G.Fisher Since you have back-to-back video-only steps, I believe this is expected behavior.

I do see that you’re also using the delay interaction feature. You can try disabling that feature as it might result in a different outcome. Ultimately, this seems like normal behavior and not a bug. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Unfortunately that normal behavior was not there before yesterday.  I’ve probably built 2 dozen of these in the past 6 months and this is a first.  But, it’s probably fine.  We’re moving toward building our own solution which ultimately provides the controls I need to do Video Psychometric Tool development.  I don’t think VA fits our use case.  I really appreciate you looking into this.  Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@G.Fisher I have a meeting with our product team this Thursday, so I’ll double check with them to see if any changes were made.

If we did roll out an update to automatically show the webcam before clicking the button (after initial permission is granted), I’m thinking it would’ve been done to improve the user experience. That way, it’s one less click for the respondent at each step.

I’ll loop back as soon as I have an update!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@andrew_videoask It’s easy to think that removing this button makes sense… to remove one extra step.  But, in the case of survey development psychometrics, a simple clean call to action button makes it clear what the next step is.  Moving directly into a video recording session with out prior action would mean many folks will simply end the session.  So the lead up to recording an answer by explicitly asking for an action to be taken (press a button) is a tried and true method.  Also, I am assuming that for multiple options such as video audio and text, the buttons will remain?  Now we’ve introduced two different methods to accomplish what is essentially the same thing.  Anyway, this is pretty standard stuff.  I’m sure it is a bug and not a design idea.  Hope this helps.  Lot’s of great things can be accomplished with this tool.  All the best.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for providing that context, @G.Fisher!

I should have an update for you from our product team on Thursday 🙂

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@andrew_videoask   No problem.  Hope it makes sense and works out.  There is a science behind psychometric tool development.  The smallest things can make the biggest difference.  thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@G.Fisher I’m still going to wait for an official update from our product team, but I’ve chatted with some other colleagues about this in the meantime.

It sounds like this has been the normal behavior for quite some time. After someone clicks the “record your answer” button the first time, if they reach another video-only step, the webcam feed will automatically appear. 

However, you may see different results if you clear your browser’s cache (as this will remove camera and microphone permissions, forcing the respondent to click the the button and grant permissions again). 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@andrew_videoask Hi Andrew… thanks for looking into this.  It probably makes sense for your customer use cases.  No need to dig any deeper.  Much of what we thought we could use VideoAsk for turned out not to be the case.  So our dev team has started work on building a video interview app that aligns with our work with Pro and College sports teams.  VideoAsk as a testimonial, short Q&A, etc is perfect.  As a Video Version of SurveyMonkey… not so much.  Anyway, thanks for this.  I’ll be signing off from the chat.  All the best and continue the great work.  You folks are building a wonderful community and tool.  Thanks  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wishing you great success on the project, @G.Fisher

If there’s anything else we can help you with down the road, let us know 🙂