Answered

Add form steps to dataLayer in GTM

Hi all,

We are using typeform on this page (form.typeform.com/to/DDypDR5X?typeform-medium=embed-snippet&typeform-embed=embed-fullpage) and would like to track the single steps with virtual pageviews in Google Analytics to display a full funnel through the process.

Therefore, we implemented Google Tag Manager to the iFrame and are able to send events to the main container which fires the GA tracking, but we have the following issues:

We only see one event for TypeformFirstInteraction (+ the TypeformSubmit in the very end)

But we cannot see the TypeformQuestionPassed AND the FirstInteraction event fires twice. Also the information remains the same and we cannot tell what step fires which event. Is there a possibility to get this information from the page or can I add a custom dataLayer to every step?

Best regards,

Manuel

icon

Best answer by MTrykar 3 September 2021, 16:30

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi Manuel,

Welcome to the community! This is a bit too technical for me, however, if you cannot see two events, I suggest confirming if they are ‘required’ fields first and confirm any logic jumps you have going to and coming from the FirstInteraction. 

Hi Vicky,

Thanks for the reply! The forms we use are pretty simple and the process behind it straightforward. I don’t know what to check or change here. However, it does not look correct to have duplicate events going from one step to another.

None of the events holds any information behind in the dataLayer:

First event when going from step 1 to step 2

Second event when going from step 1 to step 2

What I need is a single event with some information about the step in the dataLayer to send this data to my tracking and marketing tools. Using built in plugins in typeform is not an option, because of data privacy.

Best regards,

Manuel

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi Manuel,

That is strange. If I may ask, what is the difference between uniqueEventID 73 and 88?

Hi Vicki,

That’s my initial question and I don’t know why my form sends two events in a row when moving forward. As you can I am also missing the event TypeformQuestionPassed.

Best regards,

Manuel

Hi @MTrykar have you solved your issue? 

I’m in the same spot and the support didn’t help me as they said they don’t support GTM integrations only the Google Analytics and Facebook ones.

Best,

Leandro

Hi Leandro,

I am afraid that there is no solution to this issue yet and I still hope that typeform comes up with an update. 

Until then we have to live with the current state or find a workaround (which I haven't found yet).

Best,

Manuel

Ohhh sorry to hear that, I hope they come up with news soon :laughing:

Thanks,

Leandro.

Hi all,

Running into a similar issue as the above -- FirstInteraction firing twice. Any updates on this?

HI all, we had the same issue as above. Is there any solution yet?

Hi all,

The easiest solution (temporary fix) is to set your tag to fire once per page rather than once per event. This stops multiple tracking of ‘TypeformFirstInteraction’. I hope this helps.

Hello, did we ever get this fixed? I lose lead data if they don’t complete the ENTIRE Typeform. Crazy. 

I’m thinking if I can push the data layer from the form fields into GTM it would fix this. Any ideas? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Matt Bauman - break your form into a series of typeforms so that you capture the data at as many points as you choose to do so. 

I keep telling my clients, if people are dropping off the forms, is the offer compelling enough to keep them going through the form to the end? have we created enough interest for them to give us all the info? 

I also counsel clients that someone taking the form is NOT a lead until they click submit  If they are not interested enough to go to the end of the form, should we spend money chasing them? It helps to get them really focused on the intent of the form and the design of the questions, so that we CAN use a series of interconnected typeforms to capture info as they progress through .. 

des