Answered

AirTable/TypeForm integration; a few questions.

• 27 September 2021
  • 6 replies

I have a TypeForm dropdown question with about 50 options. I’d like to pass the results into AirTable. However, it seems that I have to have a Single Select field type in AirTable with all the exact entries in it to work.

Two questions:

1. Can I use a ‘Link to another record’ field type instead of Single Select? This would be ideal where I can pull the options from another sheet but it doesn’t seem to work.
  2. If I can’t use ‘link to another record’ is there a way to easily paste all the options into separate lines of the single select? Right now, when I paste, it pastes all 50 options into a single line and this would require me to type them all out for every drop down question I have. 
icon

Best answer by bjgreenberg 30 September 2021, 00:27

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @bjgreenberg Happy Monday! Welcome to the community! You can actually create the Typeform right within Airtable, which would automatically copy the questions and their possible answers into a Typeform for you by following the steps here. I think this should solve your dropdown issue, but let me know if this doesn’t work!

Holy cow! I had no idea. I will look into this. Thank you @Liz This just might solve a lot of problems I’ve been having. 🙏🏼 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hahah also my reaction when I remembered we had this feature within Airtable, too, @bjgreenberg ! Let me know if you have any troubles setting that up!

Thanks again, @Liz 

That process is a great shortcut for getting a form going. One thing I’m having issues with is that it won’t let me use ‘link to another record’ as a field type. It’s not supported in this process. Instead I need to use a ‘single select’ field type. But I have 50 options. Do you know of a way to paste all the options into separate lines for single select? Right now, when I paste, it pastes all 50 options into a single line and not separate options. This would require me to type them all out for every drop down question I have. 

BTW...  I answered my own question. Here’s how I figured out how to add a ton of options to a single/multiple select field in AirTable:

1. First, this assumes you don’t have any data in your table you care about.
  2. Go into the grid view of your table and change the field type to single line text.
  3. Copy the line separated options you want to ultimately be available as single/multiple select options from wherever you might already have them (Excel, text file, etc.)
  4. Paste the options in the first row of the field you want them to be in. This should have all the rows expand down to fill for each option.
  5. Change the field type to single or multiple select and it will ask you if you’d like to use the present values in the table as your options. 
  6. Done.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @bjgreenberg Ah, glad you were able to figure it out, and thanks for sharing! Super helpful!