Answered

Google Analytics and Typeform session stitching

• 23 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi team,

I have embedded my Typeform as part of a landing page on my website

I have searched online but still cannot find a robust solution to my problem - Typeform sessions are counted separately from the Google Analytics sessions. Cross-domain tracking did not work. If I were to run a google ads campaign and redirect users to my landing page, once they interact with the Typeform it becomes a separate sessions. This leads to a loss in attribution

Please help! 

icon

Best answer by VirginiaKamala 24 December 2021, 12:07

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @VirginiaKamala, have you tried the shareGaInstance option in your embed snippet?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Mathio,

Thank you for your response - I will try this out. But what should be the Typeform connection method here - GA or GTM?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I tested this with GA integration, however in theory it should also work with GTM (if GTM injects GA into your typeform).

Userlevel 1
Badge

@mathio Hi Mathio, thanks for the solution. But unfortunately, it still doesn’t work - GA counts it a 2 users. Please find two screenshots below:

GA View

Process wire - Typeform embed section. (I have added the ga instance snippet in the code)

Am I doing something wrong? 

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @mathio Just an update here! This solution worked - but this tip may help others as well - this solution only works with GA integration. With GTM it didn’t seem to work for me. 

Having said that a couple of pain points

• User has been unified but the sessions are still double. 
  • I created a goal for Typeform submissions (Native GA event schema by Typeform), the data flows properly in GA but I am not able to import the conversion action on Google Ads

@VirginiaKamala, I wonder if by adding your website domain to the Referral Exclusion List in your Google Analytics Dashboard if you will still see the traffic from the same Client ID recognized as different sessions. 

Add your main website domain name to the Referal Exclusion List of your Google Analytics UA property: Admin > [Your UA property] > Tracking Info > Referral Exclusion List.

See this https://www.simoahava.com/analytics/troubleshooting-cross-domain-tracking-in-google-analytics/#2-domains-in-the-referral-exclusion-list

Also, it seems that there is 6month timeout for returning users. It maybe not be reflected right away and if you are testing locally you might want to clear your cookies / try with another browser.

See this: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en