Answered

Hubspot Integration: Contact creation instead of Update

• 31 January 2022
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi, I have the following issue:

I’ve changed the email of a typeform to a hidden field that is filled automatically via URL from hubspot. That works as it should, the email is matching with the existing hubspot contact and receiving the typeform data.

BUT additionally Typeform now creates a second and new contact with empty email attribute in hubspot. Doesn’t make any sense to me. How can I fix this?

icon

Best answer by kabir.mathur 3 February 2022, 09:40

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @originalconfidence Thanks for stopping by! Glad to see you here again. :grinning:

When you’re using an email hidden field, it doesn’t contain an actual email type field reference to map form submission details to, so a new empty contact is created due to a missing email field.

Hopefully this helps clarify where that empty contact is coming from. 

Also adding @kabir.mathur here!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey @Liz thanks for the info. Clarified it, but didn’t solve the problem ;-) Would be a great adjustment if I could somehow stop the empty contact creation. Any ideas on this?

Otherwise a feature request for the next update...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @originalconfidence We don’t have a workaround for this, so it would be a feature request. Though, I tagged Kabir above so he can see this. :grinning:

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @originalconfidence. Thanks for sharing the additional details.

The behavior your’ve described is what is expected of the integration so it’s possible that this is a bug. Would you mind sharing the Form ID for the form that you’ve connected to Hubspot so we can investigate this further? Your Form ID is the string that appears after form/ in your form URL (something like admin.typeform.com/form/uKCEO3).

Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@kabir.mathur Thank you for looking into this. That’s the ID: Y672rUJJ

Looking forward to your update on this,

Janos

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @originalconfidence. We checked the logs for your form and don’t see any weird errors. 

Could you try to check the ‘Yes, require an email address’ box in the integration setup? I think checking this box should resolve your issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@kabir.mathur I’d like to try this, but where do I find the checkbox? I can’t even update the integration settings. Shouldn’t that be available with the newest integration update?

Right now, I can only delete the integration and set it up newly.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @originalconfidence. I see what’s going on now. You’re part of a small group of users that’s still on v1 of our Hubspot integration. We will migrate your account to v2 next week. v2 includes many new features such as:

• The ability to edit your integration

• Better error handling for peace of mind

• New Hubspot APIs for future compatibility and enhanced functionality

• The option to create deals and companies in addition to contacts

As well as the ability to determine when contacts are created and not per my last comment. Please feel free to reach out again via this thread if v2 doesn’t resolve your issue. If it does and you enjoy the experience, we’d really appreciate a positive review for our app listing on Hubspot’s site- https://app.hubspot.com/ecosystem/6093865/marketplace/apps/marketing/lead-generation/typeform.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @kabir.mathur or @Liz 

Has there been any update on the matching of hidden field values via dynamic URL parameter in the past days? It used to work perfectly for us, but since a few days every second email value is empty. So it seems like something has changed.

We are using this path in the URL to match with the hidden field in our typeform:

https://EXAMPLE.typeform.com/to/Y672rUJJ?email={{contact.email}}

From our side no changes have been made in the whole process. Thank you for a short feedback.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @originalconfidence How are you sending respondents to the form URL? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Liz via E-Mail that they receive from Hubspot. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Got it! I’m reading now that you’re saying the second value. Is the second value the email? And have you noticed that it happens on certain types of contacts or all recently? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Liz I was saying “every second value” which was only a rough value to describe how often it happens. Round about in 40% of the contacts right now. There is no rule about certain types of contacts that we could identify. Seems to happen randomely.

Is there any relation to ad blockers, browser etc. that you know about?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh, got it. It may be related to cookie settings on the browser, @originalconfidence . If you haven’t already, do you mind sending yourself a test email and opening it in an incognito window? That should give us an answer on cookies!