Answered

IF logic MailChimp

• 6 April 2021
  • 7 replies

We are using Typeform to take entries for an online exhibition. People are being asked for their email addresses, and this is required to participate in the exhibition. We are also asking people if they would like to sign up to our email newsletter. This is not required, of course. When trying to integrate Typeform with Mailchimp, either directly or with Zapier, I don’t seem to be able to input any “IF” logic. I want the form to automatically add people to our newsletter list IF they have selected “Yes” in the receive newsletter question. If they have selected “No” I don’t want them to be added. I can’t work out how to make this work and I am sure there must be a way, it seems like such an obvious thing in this GDPR world!!

icon

Best answer by Michaela 9 April 2021, 09:24

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @IzzyS. Welcome to the Typeform Community! =)

I'm going to ping @john.desborough here because I'm wondering if he would have any suggestion for this use case. Des, I know you have some workflows where you ask if the respondent would like to receive an email. How does it work for you? Do you mind sharing more details here? :hugging:

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey @IzzyS. Welcome to the Typeform Community! =)

I'm going to ping @john.desborough here because I'm wondering if he would have any suggestion for this use case. Des, I know you have some workflows where you ask if the respondent would like to receive an email. How does it work for you? Do you mind sharing more details here? :hugging:

Thank you!

@Mariana @IzzyS 

I am not familiar with passing the details to MailChimp (that’s more @Liz and her integration specialties)- however, my understanding is that you should be able to push the records. I think the issue is related to the fact that ALL responses are being sent to the integration target (ie Mailchimp or Google, etc.) - filtering by the yes/no doesn’t seem to be possible as this would break that ALL records passing. 

There should be a way to set the Zapier workflow to deal with filtering the data or with Integromat ( @Michaela - can you help on this one) to hand this 

You should also be able to push the data into a Google Sheet and filter the records and select those records that indicated YES to the newsletter and then push them to MailChimp. 

sorry I am not as versed in the integrations to CRM and mailers.. tend to be Google Sheets focused.. 

des

Thanks @john.desborough and @Mariana yes I think we might end up doing it manually with Google sheets as suggested, just a shame as it would be a logical integration I would have thought!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks @john.desborough and @Mariana yes I think we might end up doing it manually with Google sheets as suggested, just a shame as it would be a logical integration I would have thought!

@IzzyS - There should be a way to do this but that is a start. When the sun gets high enough in the sky to shine on the west coast of North America, there are a couple of other folks who will be online and might have ‘the answer’ for you!

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @IzzyS - @john.desborough ‘s idea about using the filters in Zapier is one way to do this. (I can make a video about this if you’d like.)

Another way, if you want to use our direct integration, would be to setup a workflow similar to the one below. The last part about removing the emails that don’t select ‘yes’ would be a bit manual, but it’s an option!

Would either of these ideas work for you?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi guys!

This sure is something that can very easily be achieved with Integromat, thanks Des! 

I’m gonna include the full instructions of setting up the automation because I am always excited to show off what Integromat is about.

For the TLDR version (aka the setting up the filter) skip forward to Stage 4 

Stage 1 - Setting Up your Typeform Form  :clipboard:
I went with four simple questions:

1. What’s your first name?​​​​​​​
  2. What’s your last name?
  3. What’s your email address?
  4. Would you like to receive our newsletter? (Yes/No answer)

Stage 2 -Selecting the ‘Watch Responses’ Typeform Module in Integromat  :eyes:

Within the module, you:

• connect your Typeform account to Integromat 

• set the max number of items returned during one run of the automation

• select the form you want to monitor

dCoC2qEto8yfzdZZSTGzIA5KUKCroT3J0oBBrlkGn1Is_UD-Yehb1JSmGepV3OtIDNj_xWNWoEvlYeoAJZSnOguAo29bvstkH64MePAm7Hk02OVlxDYyw_FmCzfie_taaQORBkZk

• in the ‘Fields’ section, add all the answers you want to work with; in my case, I want to retrieve all the answers to create a matching subscriber in Mailchimp

• mark the ‘Completed’ section as ‘Yes’ to only receive information from completed forms

ymXOrk1Z_L6xgk49IydWIKW_c9HHBXEKcNGWIVkDHpMpne9T9gyQKVJuV4si1XXYmjpNU67KKA5akURFPCN1SbAnzcuCAOTfcqAWSq-pyzDeLVnJI3g3TUOGtqQSVSiHJsXrIfBc

Stage 3 - Adding the Mailchimp ‘Add/Update a Subscriber’ Module in Integromat   :heavy_plus_sign:

Within the module, you:

• connect your Mailchimp account to Integromat

• select the ID of the list you want to work with

• optional: you can also map in some elements from the Typeform answers if you wish; in my case I mapped the answers to What’s your name/email address from the previous module to the matching Mailchimp fields

pSCXAQzTFHEJlWe0w-JaXqipNBTsDrnTwArkk4qsLjAg-EBOOsZ8BYFB02PFy1Grvw2ByosLjt4ofh_DedMK3xtQXRLStlkgAbyJnRSR4W9G_MD6G3cukZln8rv4nPztbL-qHpnH

So far so good :muscle:

Stage 4 - Setting a Filter between the Modules 

• click the wrench symbol on the dotted line to open the filter set-up
  • give the filter a name and set a condition: If the answer to ‘Would you like to receive our newsletters’ equals true, the data will pass through to the Mailchimp module. 

• note: make sure to choose the ‘true’ option from the ‘General Functions’ section in the pop-up window

Well and that’s it! Save the scenario, schedule it to run as often as you want it to run, activate it and bam, you’re all set!

(Just for funsies, this is the automatically created subscriber in Mailchimp:)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Michaela - NICE!!