Answered

Integrating Typeform with existing notion database

Hi there,

Hoping someone can help. 

We have already successfully created a Typeform which pushes to a notion database which we created when creating the Typeform. (I read somewhere that it can only connect 1 form at a time - however the example below was created first and didn’t work, so the issue is not that we have multiple forms trying to connect)

However we created a Typeform and tried to connect it to an already existing database within notion, and it seems that none of the information from the form got pushed through to notion when we tested it. 

Anybody have something similar happen when connecting to an existing more complex database?

icon

Best answer by picsoung 25 May 2021, 07:18

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Micaela welcome to the community! :grinning: Did you already have data in the database you’re connecting to? If so, this can possibly cause issues, so I’d suggest connecting to one that doesn’t have any existing data. 

Hi Liz. 

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes the database already had  data in it. It’s a database of over 400 people so we would prefer not to start a brand new one. Is there anyway to merge the 2 databases & not lose any information, if we were to create a new database? The exisitng database has a lot more fields than what we have in the typeform, would this be a problem when trying to merge the new and old database? I went through the whole process of connecting each notion field to a typeform question and making sure they were the same ‘type’ of field. When I filled in a form it just didn’t show up. 

I then went to create a new typeform for another topic and created a new database and that specific form worked. However now I can’t get either of them to work. It’s coming up with an error. Is there anyone I can contact who is able to have a zoom call or something? 

And is it true that it does not allow you to connect more than one form at a time? When will this issue be resolved?

Kind regards

Micaela

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Micaela Got it - thank you! We don’t have phone support, but hopefully I can answer your questions here. :) It isn’t possible to add a Typeform to an existing database or connect more than one form per Notion account. 

You can only have one instance of the Typeform bot per Notion workspace. Trying to connect a second one will cause the process to fail at the authentication step. It will prompt an error message saying the authentication is already done. This is due to a Notion limitation on their OAuth API - we can only connect one form per Notion workspace. A fix should be released by Notion in the near future. 

Hopefully this helps clarify, but let me know if you have any other questions!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Micaela 

thank you for your post.
I built the Notion integration, and I am existed to see people using :)

As @liz mentioned, there is currently a known limitation that only let you sync 1 form in 1 Notion workspace, this limitation comes from Notion API.

But this should not affect the issue you are describing.
Are you mapping by any chance a multiple choice or dropdown question from Typeform to a select or multi select column on Notion?

If this is case you have to make sure that options are exactly the same on each side, including spaces, and case sensitive characters.

if this is not solving your issue, you should probably reach out to support, so we can get into the details without reveling too much of your personal setup on this forum ;)

Hey all, can I jump in and ask a similar question on same topic?

I set up the Notion connection in Typeform successfully. 

However, in the #3 Mapping field, I linked to a pre-existing database that already had info in it. 

So, after learning that this can create problems, I created a new database to link to in Notion that was blank. 

However, NOW when I go to #3, It does not allow me to change the database that I am linked to. 

I even tried deleting the Notion “connect” multiple times and adding it back, but it keeps only allowing me to connect to the first database I linked to, and does not allow me to choose a new one.

Appreciate any help,

Thanks!

mbc

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @mbc 
Thank you for reporting this issue.

Did you delete the integration in Notion too? Going to Settings > Integration, and revoke the Typeform bot.

You should be able to get started fresh.

Also, if you want to link a database that was not previously part of the ones you had selected during the setup, you can grant access from Notion.
In the Notion database, go to the top right corner under Share. And there you should be able to invite Typeform to have access.

Once this is done, you should see this new page in the list of databases in the Typeform setup.

Let us know if this works

Thanks @picsoung ! I hadn’t revoked it within Notion yet, will give that a shot, thank you!

Hi guys,

Similar issue here:

I create a form using multiple choice questions to sync date to my notion spreadsheet.  Everything was working.  Then I added the additional questions types that I would need and everything was working.  

But once I added duplicate questions for different items in my order form and added advanced logic it stopped working.  Even after deleting the logic and additional duplicate questions it still now doesn’t work.  

My question is can the duplicate questions using different paths in typeform be mapped to one cell on notion?  Or does each questions have to be mapped to its unique counterpart?  

Any help with this would be much appreciated.  I am at least 10 hours in and haven’t had much luck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @SYM Do you mind sending any screenshots or a video of your setup and/or the issues with the mapping? This will help give us a better idea of what we’re looking at to help answer. :grinning:

Hi, @Micaela . I was experiencing the same issue just to find a day later that cards that are created in Notion by Typeform integration go to the NO STATUS column, to the right of the card board.

I don't know if you're using the card board view in Notion, but if so, try to find the new cards at the NO STATUS column (which is hidden and you have to click on it in order to be able to see it).

I hoope I've helped!

Gui Valadares

hello!

Can you link existing typeform results to a notion database?

I would like to get the results of the questionnaire into a notion database. The typeform already exists and we have already received answers. I made a notion database, linked it correctly, but the database is not being populated.

Does it only work when you make the connection before the typeform gets its first result?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @melanie_illyvanilly I added your post here where we have some information for you. 😀

Hey @Liz, Thanks. This is useful information. Although I don’t find answers to my question ‘Does it only work when you make the connection before the typeform gets its first result?’

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @melanie_illyvanilly You can connect the form after you’ve collected results, but it won’t send existing results in Typeform to Notion, only the ones made after the connection is set. 

I hope this helps clarify!