Answered

Notion Integration Mapping

All my other question types can be mapped over successfully to the Notion database, except for the Matrix type question. It doesn't even show up in the mapping field. Does anyone know what Notion table property is required?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Liz 25 May 2021, 17:56

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Sqkii happy Wednesday! The matrix question isn’t currently supported in the Notion integration. You can see the list of questions that are available here. I hope this helps! Is there anything else I can help answer for you? :grinning:

Hi @Liz, thanks for answering my question! In that case, I guess I’m better off using multiple rating question types :sweat_smile: , although that means running out of questions on the free version of Typeform. 

Any chance you know when the matrix question might be supported in the integration? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Sqkii Offhand, we don’t have any timeframe for supporting the matrix question, and this is primarily because there isn’t a matching question in Notion that it can be mapped to. But if there is an existing question within Notion you think would map well to the matrix question, I’m happy to share the feedback!

I have a similar question, hopefully this is an ok place to ask it (since the subject is about notion integration mapping generally) — are “relation” type columns supported?

It looks like they are not, based on what I’m seeing at https://help.typeform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360061400731-Integrate-your-typeform-with-Notion and by messing around with a typeform notion integration briefly. It seems to be possible according to Notion’s API docs and I’ve found at least one other tool that pre-populates Relation values in a dropdown for you, based on entries in that Notion database.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @andrewborstein Not a problem to ask here at all! I don’t believe we support this field, but @picsoung can confirm this and/or if it’s in the works. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @andrewborstein 

Thank you for your question!
This is not possible at the moment but would indeed be a nice improvement.

We just have to think about how that would work. Looks like we could just take the value of a question and Notion would take care of finding out the corresponding record in the database.

Thanks for the confirmation @picsoung!

The ideal solution (which is how https://notionforms.io/ handles it) is to map the form field to Notion in such a way that the form automatically retrieves the correct options/values at runtime (all of the records in that relation table) and populates them in a regular select or query-backed autocomplete (e.g. if there are hundreds or thousands of table entries) and displays the db entry name as the field label and submits the db entry page id as the field value.

So if I have a Notion Relation column for “Staff” that correlates to 3 staff members in that table, the Typeform field would automatically gather and display 3 field options like:

Select a Staff Member

• Andrew (123)
  • Liz (456)
  • Picsoung (789)

Where “Andrew” is the field label and “123” is the Notion Page ID of the “Andrew” record in the “Staff” Notion table. Gathering and mapping these values at build time would be an ok solution, too, but could create some confusion if entries in the relation table change after the form is created.

I ended finding a solution involving https://automate.io/ for now, since they allow mapping to Relation columns. But I had to manually create my own mapping in a different form tool to transform the field option “Andrew” to value “123”. Would love to have this feature available in an easy fashion in Typeform!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh interesting, so you also want to populate options in dropdown/multiple choices question from the values of a Notion column? 🤔

Any idea as of why there are no questions shown when mapping Typeform fields to the Notion properties?

Only thing that appears in the dropdown list is a single select type property icon..

All of my typeforms have this same problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Oblify Have you published all of the changes to your form? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I had the same prob and found the answer here in the community. Thank you @Oblify , looks like form needs to be published first. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Glad it was an easy fix, @carlo !