Skip to main content
Answered

Parent URL parameter not passed to typeform

Hi,

Im going insane - I try to embed a typeform into a godaddy (website builder) site and pass given url-parameters from the parent (godaddy) site to the form into hidden fields.

Whatever I am trying, it doesn´t work. Support tells me lot´s of customers are doing this…

Can anyone help?

Here is a test-site:

https://mytestlab7.godaddysites.com/#ad=hulla

or

https://mytestlab7.godaddysites.com/?ad=hulla

ad exists as a hidden field:

Read URL parameters is set:

Result:

Can anyone help - or if the issue is with godaddy - does anyone know a website building platform where this works? I tried with squarespace with the same results…

Thank you!

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @enklerWenkDenk sorry you’re having issues with this 😕 tagging @picsoung and @mathio - do either of you know how to set this up? 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your response Grace!

Maybe I should mention, that it works on a test site from typeform:

https://testing-other-embeds.glitch.me/?ad=testaddhiddenfield

I guess the difference is, in my case the form is located within another godaddy iframe, so it´s an iframe within an iframe… But I guess thats how they all do it with code embeds..?

Something on godaddy is maybe blocking the parameter transferral. I´m just wondering why it seems to work for many other people - typeform support mentioned different platforms from customers where this works. I tried on godaddy and squarespace without any luck :(

This is an essential functionality for me, as I need to track the source of my leads.

Thanks for any tips or help!

Userlevel 1

Does nobody have any experience with that or any tips? I would love to extend typeform to my other sites but I can only do that with this issue being solved :(

Does nobody have any experience with that or any tips? I would love to extend typeform to my other sites but I can only do that with this issue being solved :(

Hi,

I don't think this is related to Typeform. Do you have a chance to try it from a platform other than Godaddy? If you write to Godaddy support team, they will probably solve the problem.

Userlevel 1

Ja, I tried with squarespace and had the same issue. 

Godaddy support doesn't know why it doesn't work and they cannot change anything with the builder platform somehow…

I would change to a different hoster immediately if anyone knows where this works.

I mean it should be a feature for most people as you cannot track conversion source properly I guess.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@enklerWenkDenk - keep in mind that some folks have set their phones/browsers to not allow UTM tracking etc. so these values will not get passed 

not sure that this is the case in your godaddy issue but something else on top of dealing with that issue as well

from the interweb, related to iOS:

Starting with iOS 17, iPadOS 17, and macOS Sonoma, Safari automatically removes tracking parameters from URLs while in Private Browsing Mode, in order to prevent cross-website tracking. When a tracking parameter is detected while browsing or copying a link, Apple says Safari strips the identifying components of the URL, while leaving the rest intact. The links will still work as expected, but will no longer have unique identifiers.

des

Userlevel 1

@enklerWenkDenk - keep in mind that some folks have set their phones/browsers to not allow UTM tracking etc. so these values will not get passed 

Hey John, 

I tried with different browsers without any luck. Also in my case I only want to transfer some generic values, not specific utm tracking values - but I guess that doesn´t matter?

Also somebody from typeform support reached out to me. He tried himself and ran into the same issue. He said they will investigate further and search a solution.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @enklerWenkDenk 

To pass hidden fields from the parent window to the embedded typeform you can update your embed code adding the transitiveSearchParams parameter.

<div
data-tf-widget="<form-id>"
data-tf-transitive-search-params="name,email,ad,utm_source"
></div>
<script src="//embed.typeform.com/next/embed.js"></script>

Is this something you’ve tried?

Best,

Nicolas 

Userlevel 1

Hi all,

I got a response from support.

Apparently website building platforms like godaddy and others prevent the URL parameters to be read by typform (sandbox iframe).

This leaves me with only two solutions:

• Find a building platform that does allow those kind of scripts; allows embedded code without an iframe
  • Cancel godaddy and build my site with wordpress or something like that on my own

:(

Attached the response from support.

Thanks all

The data-tf-transitive-search-params attribute in the embed code will read query params from the page where the form is embedded. In your site there are 2 nested iframes:

1. Sandbox created by the website builder to prevent scripts inside to access host page
  2. Our iframe with typeform

See here:

?name=image.png

The sandbox prevents typeform from accessing URL of the original page. The URL of the page where typeform is embedded is the URL of the sandbox, which is about:srcdoc (and it contains no query params).

There is no workaround for this on our side, since this is a privacy feature implemented by the website builder. They will need to allow you to embed the typeform embed code directly into the page, without the sandbox in order for URL parameters to be passed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, unfortunately this is a privacy feature. Unless GoDaddy allows you to put script directly into your website you will need to use a different platform to build your website.

While Wordpress might have steeper learning curve than other no-code website builders I believe it pays of in the long run as you get total control over your website and content. You can even self-host if you want to cut down costs and dont mind spending more time / learning something new.

Wish you luck with building your website!