Answered

Passing UTM across landing page and then to TF

• 8 December 2021
  • 18 replies

Badge

I’m currently promoting a landing page in ads with a link to a non-embedded Typeform -- is it possible to simply send the UTM info from the ad to the landing page and then to Typeform or do I need to switch to embedding it and following the trick I’ve seen discussed here?

icon

Best answer by Lasse 14 December 2021, 13:51

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Danasnack Happy Wednesday! Thanks for stopping by the community!

This should be possible, depending on which ad service you’re using. 

The first thing you’ll want to do is set up the UTM variables, which can be found by going to the settings shown below: 

If you don’t see all the UTM variables you need, then you can manually add them as hidden fields

Your ad platform should automatically add all this data into the URL so long as the hidden fields are in the Typeform URL. 

This should work, but I always recommend testing this to be on the safe side. Let us know if you have any troubles setting this up!

Badge

Hi Liz,

I just tried a test using restaurants.snackpass.co?source=Test as the test UTM URL and all the UTM variables are on but the result just shows xxxx? 

Should I change the default link to the typeform which also contains xxx currently?Here’s the link that page is linking to for the Typeform: https://partnerwithsnackpass.typeform.com/signup?utm_source=xxxxx&utm_medium=xxxxx&utm_campaign=xxxxx&utm_term=xxxxx&utm_content=xxxxx#inbound=xxxxx

Or does it not support any URL and I need to test from Adwords directly? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Danasnack Oh! Apologies for not stating this. You’ll need to remove those x’s, then it should work!

Badge

Thanks Liz!

I removed the xxxxx’s and just tried this as a test https://restaurants.snackpass.co/?utm_source=Test but it’s only showing - in the results for the source field.

Here’s the current URL:https://partnerwithsnackpass.typeform.com/signup?utm_source=&utm_medium=xxxxx&utm_campaign=&utm_term=xxxxx&utm_content=xxxxx&typeform-source=restaurants.snackpass.co#inbound=xxxxx

I removed the xxxx’s from the utm_source= since that’s the section I am using. Should I remove the xxs even for the sections I’m not using?

Badge

To be clear, I’m testing just by adding the ?utmsource= to the URL myself and not through any ads etc. in case that matters.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hm, I would then suggest reaching out to your ad service to see if they are passing the values into the URL, just to be sure that is something they provide, @Danasnack !

Badge

Thanks this is Google Adwords.

So it’s not a problem I’m linking to a Webflow landing page and then the user is clicking in to the Snackpass form?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Danasnack I’m afraid I’m not familiar with Snackpass, but if the data isn’t sending from Google Ads into the URL, I would definitely suggest contacting Google Ads to see why the data isn't sending. 

Badge

Thanks Liz.

I checked with Google and they said everything is being passed [as well as other as providers like Adroll] but still nothing showing up.

Any suggestions? Should I try switching to an embedded form?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hm, I’m not sure if embedding would make it any easier, but it might be worth having our technical support team look further into this since they can log into your form and ask you for screenshots of your Google Ads account (which I’m guessing you may not want to share here). 

I forwarded this over to them, so you should be hearing from them soon!

Badge

Thanks Liz. In case helpful, here’s a screenshot of how the links are set up in Google Ads currently. The user is going to a Webflow based landing page where they then click a button that launches the Typeform.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Danasnack 

If I understand well, you have an ad that redirects traffic to a page on your site, and this page embeds a typeform, is that correct?

Now your ad redirects to your page and passes some UTM query parameters.

Example:

Ad on facebook: https://restaurants.snackpass.co/?utm_source=facebook
Ad on google: https://restaurants.snackpass.co/?utm_source=google

And you would like to pass automatically those query parameters to the embedded form, is that right?

As @Liz explained, the first part is to add UTM tracking to your form, or create any necessary hidden fields.
Then you will have to adapt your embed code, to pass the query parameters from the parent page to the typeform.

As explained in this documentation
you will need to add a data-tf-transitive-search-params parameter to the div containing your form

turning the simple embed code from

<div data-tf-widget="BdERLSJL" data-tf-iframe-props="title=My typeform" data-tf-hidden="utm_source=xxxxx,utm_campaign=xxxx" style="width:100%;height:400px;"></div>
<script src="//embed.typeform.com/next/embed.js"></script>

to

<div data-tf-widget="BdERLSJL" data-tf-iframe-props="title=My typeform" data-tf-transitive-search-params="utm_source,utm_campaign" style="width:100%;height:400px;"></div>
<script src="//embed.typeform.com/next/embed.js"></script>

Note that data-tf-hidden was deleted

Hope it makes sense
​​​​​​​

Badge

Thanks! You are correct except my ad is redirecting right now the page doesn’t have an embedded Typeform but is Linking to a Typeform.com one [right now it’s Google Ads > Snackpass.co > Typeform Link and I imagine there’s no way to pass the parameters across my page and then to a Typeform link?

Am I correct in thinking I need to switch to an embedded Typeform?

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Danasnack

Lasse from Typeform Support here. 

What you mention is possible to set up on most sites - [Google Ads > Snackpass.co > Typeform Link] However, it all depends on the functionality that Snackpass.co offers in regard to receiving the parameters from the URL, and pass them on to the Redirect link pointing to the typeform. 

I’ve made some searches online, but I’ve not been able to find any information about this.

So I suggest you reach out to Snackpass.co support to hear if they have a solution for this. 

If they don’t, then your alternative is to embed your form on your site, and use the workaround @picsoung shared above.

I hope this helps.

And good luck with it

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks! You are correct except my ad is redirecting right now the page doesn’t have an embedded Typeform but is Linking to a Typeform.com one [right now it’s Google Ads > Snackpass.co > Typeform Link and I imagine there’s no way to pass the parameters across my page and then to a Typeform link?

Am I correct in thinking I need to switch to an embedded Typeform?

Thanks!

As @Lasse said, it’s probably something the Snackpass tell will be able to help you out with.

On our side, you can either use a direct link to the typeform and pass all the relevant parameters to it or an embed typeform. you pick the experience that works best for you.

But you need to check with snackpass, how their platform can extract the data from the utm links and then pass them into the link or the embed form.

Badge

Thanks guys!

I’m going to switch to the embedded Typeform. One question: should the embed be on the first page so it properly receives the UTM params from the ad URL or will they be passed even if I create a separate page that is a diferent click away from the landing page?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi again! 
The params will not be passed on automatically, this is something you have to set up on your site. If Snackpass offers this feature, then you can place the embedded form wherever you like on your page and follow their instructions on how to pass the params on. 
If they don’t offer this feature, then you will need to embed the form on the landing page where the parameters are present in the URL.

So to recap:-) the parameters have to be present in the URL of the page where your form is embedded. 

Hi, 

I have enabled the UTM tracking in Typeform and added both the below code snippets to the embed div:
data-transferable-url-parameters="utm_source, utm_medium"
data-tf-transitive-search-params="utm_source,utm_campaign"

Which seems to be populating the utm data in the results section on Typeform (screenshot below)

However, I am then trying to pass the UTM information through to the redirect on completion URL as below. But this doesn’t seem to be working: 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Phil.