Answered

Tracking time based interactions in Google Analytics

• 12 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Hello everyone! I am currently using Typeform professional and I was wondering if it’s possible to do google analytics integration and track some time based behavior of my form respondents (it’s a multimedia quiz). 
The behaviors I am trying to look into are (but not limited to):

1. How long a user takes to answer each question in the quiz.
  2. If it’s a video/audio based question, are the respondents completely watching/listening to it or are they skipping parts.
  3. Number of clicks on each question in the quiz.
  4. ​​​​​​​Number of times respondents Left/exited the quiz without finishing. 

It’s for a research project and I hope someone can really help me though it either by some tutorials/reading materials or by recommending me an expert.

Thanks in advance!:sweat_smile:

icon

Best answer by Liz 12 February 2021, 18:45

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Raihan thanks for stopping by the community! :) We currently send the following data to Google Analytics

• TypeformQuestionPassed
  • TypeformSubmit

So while we don’t have a way to calculate how long someone spent on a particular question or if they watched the entirety of a video on the form, I’ll note the suggestion for our product team! 

You can calculate the time a respondent took to complete a form by exporting the data for your form and subtracting the time of completion from the time of landing. It’s not the quickest solution, but hopefully it’s something for the meantime. 

@picsoung or @Francois (Typeform) , if you have any workarounds for this data, let us know! :) 

Hey @Liz ! Thank you so much for the prompt response. I guess there is no easy way to go about it at the moment. I’ll look into your suggestion for now. Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Not a problem @Raihan ! Let us know if you think of any other questions. :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can probably hack something on top of Google Tag Manager.

Trigger it onload of a form, record date, then listen for the `TypeformSubmit` event, and record this date.

This would involve a lot more custom work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Tagging @supertinou in case they have any ideas to share. :) 

I actually would very much like this feature. While there are add-ons in Google forms that allow to track the total time for the quiz, I am not aware of any solution to track the time taken for each question, which I actually need for research purposes.