Question

User data integration

• 20 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Here is our use case:

My product, an e-learning platform, is looking for a solution for surveys and quizzes that seamlessly integrate into the UI of our product, and more importantly, the data collected from respondents can be tied back to the user record without having to ask the user for their name, email, etc. I know we can embed Typeform into the UI, but does Typeform support capabilities that would allow our application to pass user data from our product into Typeform for a respondent when they complete a form? The desired output of this would be that each row in the user responses data would have column for user data that was pushed by our application, not manually entered by the user when they completed the form. This would let us tie this data back to the user.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @mrionline. Welcome to the Typeform Community! :hugging:

You can totally achieve that using Hidden fields. Here you can find some great articles to guide you though this: 

1. What are Hidden Fields?

2. How to use Hidden Fields

3. Hidden Fields: Track the source of your respondents

Hope this helps! 

Thanks Mariana. This is close, but I still don’t think it works. Let me give more detail on the use case:

1. user needs to complete a quiz, or, complete a survey based on their experience with something in our online product. e.g. they complete an online course, and need to take a quiz
  2. user selects a link/button in our product to “complete survey” or “complete quiz”
  3. user is shown the survey or quiz that is hosted in typeform, and typeform “automatically” knows who that user is

It seems like the only way that typeform can know who a user is, is via the URL path containing user specific parameters. How would this URL be automatically created with the necessary path so we know who the user is in the above use case?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@mrionline - this comes from a user who is interested in your use case 

how do you track your user on your web site on its own? do you know who the user is? if you do, you have the ability to append the user details to the url that directs them to the typeform or at least you have the details to append. The technical ability to append the email address, for example, to the url parameters is what you will need to do independent of Typeform. 

in typeform you would need to create the hidden fields that correspond to the parameters that you are passing to the typeform (ie email address, firstname, etc. ) so that Typeform can use the data you are passing. 

you could also pass a parameter from your website to the typeform and call details out of your backeds via the API but that is not an area where i have any special expertise to assist. 

des