Question

Using GTM to track embedded form submits for GA4

Show first post

47 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Thanks @charles_my, that finally clarifies this topic.
I’ve been trying to get this to work for a few days now.

Essentially: Embedded forms cannot be tracked in GA4, because even though GTM works fine, the integration with Google Analytics is still needed, which isn’t available for GA4 atm

@Liz Is it possible to update this thread, as soon as this is solved.
Probably as soon as GA4 integration is ready.

Badge

hi - is this capability available/supported now? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @rdenton If you’re wondering about GA4 support, we do support it now! You can read about it below: 

Badge

hi @Liz I have read through that documentation, but I am still having the same issues as what is outlined by other users. my GTM tags are firing successfully for TypeformSubmit events but I do not see anything in GA4. 

Below is an example of a form I am trying to track in GA4, can you please help? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @rdenton In a different post, @HC Marketing shared this video below, which helped them!

Badge

@HC Marketing were you able to get your embedded forms successfully tracked in GA4 using GTM? 

Can anyone help me with this??? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

1- @HC Marketing were you able to get your embedded forms successfully tracked in GA4 using GTM? 

Can anyone help me with this??? 

Hi,

There are 3 ways to track events of embedded Typeforms in your GA4 property.

1. using the GTM integration of Typeform and sending events to GA4 using tags
  2. Using Google Analytics integration of Typeform
  3. iFrame Tracking (the YT video above)

Are you using first methodr? If so, I had the same problem. You see the events in the GTM preview mode but not in the GA4 debug view. The reason is that for the embedded typeform, GA4 recognizes the traffic as a new device (probably because it's not your main domain the cookies are different!!!!). You can test this out: when you're in preview mode, go to GA4 debug view and under the device you should be able to see two devices, one that shows the events for the pages on your website and another one just for events happening on embedded typeform. Afterall, less than 50% of the Typeform Submission are collected and shown in GA4 report using this method, not sure why though!

In the second method, I faced two issues: 

• the same as the first method: less than 50% of events are sent to GA4
  • GA4 integration of Typeform will send an event to GA4 names pageview that shows the number of times the embedded Typeform has been viewed. This event name is very similar to the default page_view of GA4 and super confusing. Again, not sure why Typeform team decided to name it like that. 

Finally, someone on another post offered the iFrame tracking and I tried it. After 10 days, I’m getting the majority of the Typeform events, if not all of them, in my GA4 property. Watch the video and it’s pretty simple to implement.

Badge

@Liz can you link to that post? 

Badge

@HC Marketing thank you. 

I have attempted both the first and 2nd set up with no luck. So now I am going to attempt the 3rd option. 

How do I go about editing the iframe code in typeform?

Thank you so much for your detailed reply.

Badge

@Liz  do you have insight into how to edit the iframe code on a typeform? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@HC Marketing Do you happen to remember which post had the iframe tracking? I can’t remember for the life of me!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@HC Marketing thank you. 

I have attempted both the first and 2nd set up with no luck. So now I am going to attempt the 3rd option. 

How do I go about editing the iframe code in typeform?

Thank you so much for your detailed reply.

You don’t need to change anycode in Typeform. You should create a new container in GTM and use the new container tracking code in the GTM integration of each Typeform you want to track. Then you need to send responses from the new container to the original container and from there send tags to GA4. 

Everything is explained in the YT video. Their example is for a simple iFrame form but it applies to any iframe. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@HC Marketing Do you happen to remember which post had the iframe tracking? I can’t remember for the life of me!

Here’s the original post by Roberto:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you so much, @HC Marketing !

Hi, is anyone else having issues when using both GTM and GA4 integration?

The reason for using both integrations in our case is that we want to track pageviews but also send custom events when “TypeformQuestionPassed” and “TypeformSubmit” events are being pushed to dataLayer. I’m guessing that the issue is somehow a related to using two different names for dataLayer object for the integrations (dataLayer for GA4 integration and googleTagManager for GTM integration).

However, is not an issue as such since I’m able to add eventlistener to the dataLayer and push “TypeformQuestionPassed” from dataLayer to googleTagManager when it occurs. This enables usage of that event in GTM. When I’m debugging the setup, GTM preview mode shows that my customised event tags are firing like intended and the status for the tags are being showed as “succeeded”. Yet, I cannot see these events in network tab nor in GA4.

I’m thinking that GTM and GA4 are also using separate trackers for GA4 and that somehow messes things up, but I haven’t been able to get any evidence on that yet. I would like to just disable the GA4 integration and use only GTM but the “TypeformQuestionPassed” is being pushed only for GA4 integration :(

Any tips or ideas what’s going on here?

Yes, I have the same problem here. Sometime it works, sometimes not. I implemented GA4 and GTM in the Typescript form. Additionally I implemented the code from the video above. I am totally lost.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Chris1980 Could you share the URL where you have the form embedded? Thanks in advance!

Yes, I have the same problem here. Sometime it works, sometimes not. I implemented GA4 and GTM in the Typescript form. Additionally I implemented the code from the video above. I am totally lost.

FYI:
I’ve contacted the Typeform support regarding this and they said they don’t support these events for GTM integration. This seems a bit weird to me because GA4 integration sends these events by default, hence it shouldn’t be that difficult to enable and maintain it for GTM integration as well.

They said that some of their customers has come up with a workaround just by setting trigger for “TypeformSubmit” but it just does not appear for me in dataLayer :(

It also seemed that they didn’t quite understand the issue as they asked me to refer the GTM support because of this.

Hi @Chris1980 Could you share the URL where you have the form embedded? Thanks in advance!

Hey @Liz 

its: https://allywell.de/allytime

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you, @Chris1980 ! Do you have Google Analytics integrated directly in the form following these steps?

Yes, I did that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hm, you may want to reach out to Google directly, @Chris1980 , to see if there is any interference with the code on your website. I’m seeing that it’s tracking data, but there is also quite a bit of code being injected from GTM, which could be causing the issue.