Question

Using GTM to track embedded form submits for GA4

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi

I have some  a Typeform embedded on a website page. 

I would like to start using GA4 in place of UA. However, as there is no integration for GA4, I thought I could use the GTM integration instead to track form submits as an event and pass this into GA4 to track as a conversion.

I have added the Typeform GTM integration with the correct GTM code, but the submit event is not firing when I preview my GTM on the site. 

Please can you outline the steps I should follow to make sure my embedded form events show up in GTM?

I have set up the trigger to listen for the custom event “TypeformSubmit”

Thanks

Lewis

47 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Lewis.Hall Can you share the URL of your Typeform so we can test it to see if the events are firing? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Lewis.Hall! Hope everything's fine with you. Make sure to send us the URL of your form so we can test it on our end. Wishing you a great day! 😉

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Liz  and @Gabi Amaral its 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Lewis.Hall Thank you! I tested the form, and I can see that the data is passing. You’ll note this in the gif below. I would check the configuration in your Google account to be sure that the data is setup to trigger in GTM as well as Google Analytics. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Liz yes thanks I can see the event does fire in my GTM when I check the typefrom url. However, once I embed the form, (you can see this here https://livin.co.uk/your-support/money-support/request-for-money-support/ - click the button to open the form) the tracking goes. Is there a guide on how to set up GA4 event tracking for embedded forms? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Lewis.Hall We don’t have support for GA4, but our article here will explain more in depth what to do for tracking. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @LIz

so are you saying it is impossible to track embedded forms using Google Tag Manager?

If I can get the tracking on GTM working then it GA4 will be no issue. Its the GTM part I am struggling with.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Liz just following up on this? How can I use GTM to track embedded forms?

"We experienced the same problem with GTM in an embedded typeform. Is there maybe a different way it has to be embedded so tracking fires? When testing tracking in the typeform form itself, everything fires like planned. "

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Lewis.Hall what issues are you experiencing with GTM? If you’re following the setup here, it should be tracking on your form. I also confirmed this in my test above. If not, can you send the URL of your form (and as well as yours, @herbigt ). 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Liz the form is here: Request For Money Support | www.livin.co.uk

Click the button ‘Continue to request money support’ to open the embedded form (the same form as above). The issue is when the form is embedded the GTM tracking does not fire. 

If you submit a test please mark your details clearly as TEST.

@Liz

GTM is implemented in my typeform form and when just testing the typeform form url it all works fine: GTM fires the events "TypeformFirstInteraction" for every form step (displayed in screenshot - fires twice per form step, but that would be another topic) and "TypeformSubmit" for every submitted form (not displayed in screenshot, but works fine)

However when using the same typform embedded on a website, the typeform tracking does not fire anything anymore. Is there something we have to follow when implementing the typeform script to embed the form and track its usage?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @herbigt I’m not seeing a Typeform on the URL sent. Is it elsewhere on the website? If so, could you send the URL to that specific page? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Liz I am not sure that @herbigt  ever supplied a URL. If that question is directed to me, then 

Request For Money Support | www.livin.co.uk

Click the big pink button ‘Continue to request money support’ to open the embedded form

@Liz sorry, missed this: It’s embedded on this website: https://herbig.co/consulting/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @herbigt Thank you! I asked our tech team about this, and they let me know there is a bit more you have to do to get this working when the form is embedded: 

By default, no events are being tracked in GTM, the events are tracked in Google Analytics integration. Even if you add a GA tag inside a GTM tag and connect the GTM tag to typeform, unless that GA tag that is inside the GTM is connected to typeform too, the events won’t track.  In short, you need to :
1. Connect your GA to typeform.
2. Add the connected GA tag to GTM
3. Connect GTM to typeform.
You’ll also want to add the UTM parameters as required here in step 7

Hey Liz, (Typeform and Google Analytics 4)

I want to upvote this thread as my issue is also with GA4 specifically.

Do you have any feedback on integrating Typeform with GA4? Using GTM on the dedicated Typeform URL works fine with GTM capturing the Typeform events. But when the form is embedded we need to find a way to send events through to GA4 specifically. 

Just to reiterate, is it possible to send through Typeform conversions / events to GA4 ?

Do you have an API integration?

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Wes

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Liz any update on this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @WesleyRoelof and @Lewis.Hall our product team is working on building out support for GA4, but I don’t have a timeframe for this at the moment. In the meantime, you’ll need to use the workaround here to send data to Google Analytics (including GTM, which requires connecting to Google Analytics). 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Liz 

this isnt a workaround as it doesnt allow me to track my embedded form in GA4 :) My method of using GTM would be the workaround, if GTM worked for embedded forms. The issue is GTM is not tracking events on embedded forms. Please can you explain how I can use GTM to track embedded forms, or even better connect me with your technical team so I can explore this with them as I feel like we are getting nowhere here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Lewis.Hall Our tech support team can definitely help further with this. You can contact them here. 😀

Hi @herbigt Thank you! I asked our tech team about this, and they let me know there is a bit more you have to do to get this working when the form is embedded: 

By default, no events are being tracked in GTM, the events are tracked in Google Analytics integration. Even if you add a GA tag inside a GTM tag and connect the GTM tag to typeform, unless that GA tag that is inside the GTM is connected to typeform too, the events won’t track.  In short, you need to :
1. Connect your GA to typeform.
2. Add the connected GA tag to GTM
3. Connect GTM to typeform.
You’ll also want to add the UTM parameters as required here in step 7

Hi @Liz, So just to be clear, this means that because Typeform’s GA integration doesn’t support GA4 yet there is no way to track Typeform events using Tag Manager when the form is being embedded? Thanks in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @charles_my While we don’t support G4A yet, we do have the workarounds mentioned in the articles above. To track information through GTM, you still need to connect your form to Google Analytics. 

Hi @Liz, thanks for this reply. That makes sense:

No solution for GA4 and embedded forms as yet.

Workaround for GA4 when not embedded.

GA UA supported.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @charles_my I’m not sure I understand. Have you tried adding Google Analytics to your form using the G4A workaround?