Visualising data and creating reports

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi all and one for you @john.desborough :)

I’m trying to figure out the best way to automate (as much as possible) data visualisation and report creation off the back of survey data collection.

My current process is painful and goes like this:

1. Typeform survey
  2. Responses fed to google sheets
  3. Download excel version
  4. Merge into another excel which has formula/calculations set up
  5. Check for errors (there are some error formulas setup within it)
  6. Visualise key stats manually in Sketch/Illustrator
  7. Produce PDF and send

Very manual! I need to automate as much as possible.

I’ve seen the following post: https://community.typeform.com/your-typeform-results-32/auto-send-single-typeform-report-results-outcome-to-client-945

Is this still the best way to do things? Does anyone have any other advice?

Many thanks
Lewis

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@LewisK 

I make extensive use of Google Sheets and Document Studio to generate the reports. I have been able to do all the formulas and calculations (granted it took some time to figure out the Google-way for some of them) i need in Sheets and then merge the data into an output report.

I have been trying enough spare time to resolve issues like dynamic spider graphs, as well as other chart types, that require the refresh of the data in the Google Slide (merge document) for a graph that is embedded. the trigger is normally that you have to trigger the update in the Google Slide to refresh the linked data and that is the problem that i am trying to resolve with the help of the creator of Document Studio and Google support.

One of the ways that i am trying to explore for a client now is to use Google Data Studio to create a 'dashboard' that does the visualizations over top of the Google Sheet that Typeform dumps into. If this will work the way the client wants, the user will submit the typeform and will receive an email 'shortly' with a link to the dashboard. The client's CRM will send out an email to the user with the link to the dashboard and a passcode they can use in conjunction with their email address to log into the dashboard and see their results.

They also receive a pdf report generated with a table of their results and some canned 'overall results from all participants' graphs - for an initial comparison while they are waiting for their access to the dashboard. This part is done with Sheets and Document Studio.

I will let folks know in the community when i figure out the graphing stuff..

Hi all and one for you @john.desborough :)

I’m trying to figure out the best way to automate (as much as possible) data visualisation and report creation off the back of survey data collection.

My current process is painful and goes like this:

1. Typeform survey
  2. Responses fed to google sheets
  3. Download excel version
  4. Merge into another excel which has formula/calculations set up
  5. Check for errors (there are some error formulas setup within it)
  6. Visualise key stats manually in Sketch/Illustrator
  7. Produce PDF and send

Very manual! I need to automate as much as possible.

I’ve seen the following post: https://community.typeform.com/your-pixlellab-typeform-results-32/auto-send-single-typeform-report-results-outcome-to-client-945

Is this still the best way to do things? Does anyone have any other advice?

Many thanks
Lewis

I am a new user and i am also looking for the same solution to automate my forms as much as possible. If you have find anyway share with me also please.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Mittyy123 Definitely take a look at the suggestions above from @john.desborough !

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@john.desborough I’ve got this working with Document Studio.. have exported PDFs and emails successfully… It’s awesome!

I’m now trying to work out if I can create a Red/Amber/Green status and even assign images in a Google sheets PDF based on the initial answers captured from typeform. I am fully geeking out right now :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@LewisK - great to hear!

suggest you create the static images in a google drive, and then create a separate tab that has the ‘answerkey’ in one column and then the link to the image file. 

in your reporting tab, you can do the lookup on the ‘result’ (ie the ‘answerkey’ i mentioned - ie if answerkey greater than 3 then vlookup on imagetab, using the answerkey value and get the result from the nth column to the right of the lookup column)  and pull in the appropriate RAG status image. 

here’s one example that i did for a client: note the array formula and the vlookup

cheers

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@LewisK  We’re here for geeking out!! If you’re open to sending us pics of what you set up, we’d love to see!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Liz I’ll share what I can Liz, some of it is client work

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@john.desborough Can you assign images/colours in Google slides/docs or is only in Sheets?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@john.desborough Can you assign images/colours in Google slides/docs or is only in Sheets?

@LewisK - depends on what you mean… if i want to have a data marker ie {{first.name}} end up in the Slide or Doc in bold, red font, then i put the marker into the document and then highlight and set it the same as you would any other text. 

if you want to use the ‘conditions’ of the logic to choose which image you want to show in the document relative to the data, then you need to have the images in the sheet as a field value. If you want to use static images in the document, you can paste the image in or should be able to paste in a link .. 

i am guessing at the context but if you can provide more detail maybe i/we can be more precise

des

Hey all! I’m struggling with this and don’t think I have the technical skills that you all do. Is there any new smart integrations with Typeform for creating visuals of the graphics? Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey all! I’m struggling with this and don’t think I have the technical skills that you all do. Is there any new smart integrations with Typeform for creating visuals of the graphics? Thanks!

I am struggling with this too. Any ideas? I may need to find another platform. :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Eloquent and @pdxchickgirl We don’t have a direct integration, but have you seen the post below? It’ll walk you through creating graphics outside of Typeform.