Answered

Connect VideoAsk answers with an externally created contact

• 27 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have an existing Web App that has its own user (contact in VideoAsk terms) creation infrastructure.

As part of the onboarding process, users will first sign up in the existing app, and then will be asked to provide video answers via the VideAsk embedded iframe.

Once all video answers are collected and transcoded, I want to downloaded the video answers and connect them to the existing user via the web app’s DB. This will be done via a the form_response web hook.

I thought of one of these ways to complete the integration, but I have a few gaps in each one of them, and would love to get your thoughts on how to overcome these gaps:

1. Create the VideoAsk contact via the https://api.videoask.com/respondents API, and then pass the contact ID to the VideoAsk iframe ==> Missing gap here: Does the iframe support such an option? If so, what is the URL parameter name?
  2. I will pass my Web App’s user ID to the VideoAsk iframe; VideoAsk will create the contact, and then the web hook will get this ID back via the payload. ==> Missing gap here: Does the iframe support such an option? If so, what is the URL parameter name? When the payload is received by the web hook, how will this value be returned to me? I saw that there is a respondent_id field in the payload - could that field be used for this purpose?

As a workaround, I thought of storing the timestamp of opening the iframe in my DB, and try to match it with the created_at payload filed that is sent to the web hook. This will work as long as there are not too many concurrent users answering the video questions, and so might not be robust enough.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Yehuda

icon

Best answer by Liz 29 January 2024, 16:09

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Yehuda B Let me ask the folks over at VideoAsk for you! I’m not entirely sure if something like this is possible. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi again, @Yehuda B the VideoAsk team said that the second option would be the best option. 

Essentially, you’ll pass the user ID from their system into the iframe as a hidden field/variable.

You’ll just have to create a variable in VideoAsk called something like user_id then append that to the iframe url (e.g. videoask.com/xyz123?user_id=XXXXXX

Hopefully that helps a bit!

​​​@Liz 

Thanks for the quick response.

I’ll look into the variable creation process. I’m glad that it’s possible to pass these variables into the iframe as URL parameters.

Yehuda

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Let us know how it goes, @Yehuda B !

Hi @liz,

It worked very well. Pretty much straight forward according to the team’s suggestion.

There was one thing that was a bit different: I passed the user_id parameter after a # sign, not a ?. Using the # sign is also documented in the first article linked below. Not sure if it’s a typo in your answer, or if both methods should work.

In case someone else is struggling with a similar integration flow, these articles were a great help for me:

How to use variables

Add webhooks to your videoasks

Thanks again for the quick response from you and the team.

Yehuda

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Yehuda B glad to hear that worked, and thanks for sharing the articles that helped you! I believe you can use either the # or the ? sign to send those variables through, but if that doesn’t work, let us know. 😀