Answered

Zapier integration with Google Drive and VideoAsk

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi there.  I am trying to set up a basic zap to upload any videoask response videos to Google Drive.  Any idea why I can’t get any of my VideoAsk response videos to upload to Google Drive?  I have the Zap live, and I have added new responses in VideoAsk, and I have set up many Zaps before, so I generally know what I am doing.  I tried creating the zap from Zapier, and I tried deleting and kicking it off from within VideoAsk. What is the proper ID to use to pull the actual mp4 file of a video response over to Google Drive?  Wondering if I am pulling the wrong item. I have Zapier tech support working on this as well.   Appreciate any assistance.  

icon

Best answer by Jeanne Dimmick 11 July 2022, 03:23

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Jeanne Dimmick 

Did you check out our guide to sending videos to Google Drive? If you have a multi-step videoask there’s a little bit of code you need to add in which could be why it’s not working, but let me know if that’s not the case and we can look into why it’s not working 😊

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thank you.  I did not see this guide before.  I will give it a try. Where do I find things like this guide more directly?  Apologies for mis-categorizing this question under Typeform topics. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Grace.  So its still not working, but I am not sure why. If I understand what the guide is trying to say, the python code helps the export Zap to know that there are multiple steps from which to export a file.  And I it tells me to adapt the python code to reflect how many steps are in my zap (this led to many questions, like “Do I count the end screen as a step?”). But the big question I have is what if only two of the six steps need exporting?  Some are just logic questions (i.e. “Do you want to upload a photo to go with your video response?”)  Do I still need to include those in the number I use in the Python code? COuld that be part of my problem?

And am I right to assume that if there is only one step, I should be able to set up a normal zap - i.e. when a respondent leaves and response, upload their response video to Google Drive? (This is what I can’t get working for some reason too - the basic zap - but maybe its because I had a second step on there even though I wasn’t trying to export the second step).  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Jeanne Dimmick 

Have you set your responses to be shareable? 

I’ve passed this feedback onto the Education team to see if we can try to make the instructions a little clearer. You’ll find lots of guides and resources like this in the VideoAsk Help Center, you can access this from the VideoAsk website and also in-app through the Help section 😊

You don’t need to count the end screen as a step, but you do need to add a plus 1 to the number of steps of the videoask, for example if it’s a 4 step videoask you would set the range as (1,5) and even if you’re not collecting video responses for every step you should still include all steps in this count.

If it’s just a single step videoask you don’t need the code, you should just be able to setup the connection via Zapier. 

Could you let me know what’s happening when you have everything setup? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Grace.  Thanks for your response.  It think there may be a “typo” or at least some slightly misleading language that led to the confusion. The Zapier support figured it out. 

When I went to set up the Zap, Zapier gives me three options to trigger VideoAsk:

1) New Reply (from the Videoasker/You). “Triggers when a Videoasker VideoAsker replies to a respondent.”

2) New Reply (from a Respondent) “Triggers when a Respondent responds to a reply from a Videoasker.”

3) New Response (from a Respondent) “Triggers when the transcription is ready after someone responds to a Videoask.”

I chose #2 for obvious reasons, because I was trying to export the video file from the respondent to Google Drive (not a transcription). But no matter how many times I tried, nothing would execute in the zap.

But the Zapier expert suggested I try #3, which I would never have tried because it refers to the “transcription.” But when I tried it, suddenly the data was available to pull and the video rendered and copied into Google Drive.

So this is me passing along the tip that, if possible, you may want to change your language with Zapier so that people know to choose the 3rd option if they want to copy the video responses to another storage service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Jeanne Dimmick 

Thanks so much for passing on the feedback from Zapier! I’m passing this over to our Help Center crew to make sure we update our instructions 🙌

Glad it’s all working for you now, hope you have a great week!