Skip to main content

https://www.typeform.com/help/a/dropdown-question-360037943011/

Q1. How can I add a choice that shows different UI and backend values? (like the way we can do in HTML dropdown control). For example, show Red/Green/Yellow on the front end, but save the RGB values in the backend. Can we save both front end and back end values as separate fields to the Typeform Responses table?

Q2. For my user case, each member can have a different list of choices. If the list of choices are separated by a delimiter (comma), and if a hidden field capture this list, can this hidden field be the source of the dropdown?

If not, can you please add the functionality of using a field (hidden or user defined field) as source for dropdown? and in which format should the field value be, so that the Typeform can parse each option? Additionally, how to define a value presented in the UI versus the backend value?

Hi @jervin31 Thanks for stopping by the community! To help answer your questions. 

1. We don’t exactly have this feature available, however, would adding a text variable and replacing the values would work? The main downside to this is that it would record both of the values in the results - the one selected by the respondent and the one within the variable fields. 
  2. This feature wouldn’t be available, I’m afraid, as the questions and their answer choices need to be set before the respondent lands on the page. However, @mathio or @picsoung may know if there’s a hacky way to do this!

Let me know if you think of any other questions!

Hello @jervin31 I am afraid @Liz is right.

An alternative would be to show different question to each respondent using logic, but that might get too complex to build depending on the number of unique questions you will need.

Exactly as @mathio and @Liz said this is not available out of the box.

Depending on how many users you have and your use case, consider creating a specific form per user using the API. You will be creating forms meant to collect only 1 response.

I'm not sure if you have a developer background or have access to a developer who can do this job for you, but it’s also possible via Zapier/Make.

Here is how I would do it:
- create a skeleton template form. You can build this with the builder.
- Get this form's structure by calling the Retrieve form endpoint GET /forms/{form_id} . This will return a JSON with all the fields and settings
- modify the JSON to add/remove options in the dropdown

- create the form by calling the Create form endpoint using the JSON to POST /forms

And voila, you have a new form, with a new URL.
You can now send this URL via email or display it on the user’s profile.