Country/city question type OR allow large set of options for dropdown (23k+)

• 24 February 2022
  • 5 replies

We’d like our respondents to say in which country and which city they are based. I put the list of countries in a dropdown options (they are 196, so that works), but the number of world cities is too big for the form to function well (23k). The country would be great to have as built-in type (like phone number prefixes).

john.desborough 2 years ago

@Klara - a couple of possible workarounds here:

1. a series of typeforms that are created with city lists for each country on your list of countries. start one typeform with the country dropdown and then using that country in a logic rule route the user to the typeform of the city list for that country. would allow you some more control over the lists in separate forms
  2. have one question for countries and 196 questions related to cities in a specific country.. then you would have a ‘tonne’ of logic rules to create based on the response to the country question. 

both would work but both are a bit of a pain to create but …. 

des

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Klara - a couple of possible workarounds here:

1. a series of typeforms that are created with city lists for each country on your list of countries. start one typeform with the country dropdown and then using that country in a logic rule route the user to the typeform of the city list for that country. would allow you some more control over the lists in separate forms
  2. have one question for countries and 196 questions related to cities in a specific country.. then you would have a ‘tonne’ of logic rules to create based on the response to the country question. 

both would work but both are a bit of a pain to create but …. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Klara Were you able to give any of these options a try? Let us know how it went for you!

Hi there, thanks for your tips, but our form logic is already complicated and the city question is not so crucial for me so that I would over complicate it with 196 different questions and logic. Hopefully it will be possible to add address as a Typeform question type.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @Klara ! It’s in the works!

Any update on this? A map perhaps or multiple selection capability on a dropdown?

I’ve only got the 196 countries to cover but I note the “it’s in the works” comment above?