Skip to main content
Answered

Best way to ask for email address?

I built a quiz, basically a kind of weight loss calculator where we calculate how fast people can reach their desired target weight with our nutrition program. We ask them for their email address to send them their personal results.

1. This alone works pretty well, with a completion rate of > 34%, see here:

1. But if I ask them additionally to be able to send them further information, promotions, etc. which is basically the reason why we are doing the quiz... the completion rate drops dramatically to 12.5%, see here:

Question: Whats the best way to ask them for their email address? I know that best practise would be to ask for that upfront (I will test that too for sure) but is there something else I could do better?

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
Cesare

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Cesare 

Thanks for sharing your weight loss calculator, it looks like an interesting solution!

I’ve just been having a look at your form and thinking about how you might increase the completion rate. A couple of suggestions sprung to mind:

1. You could add a partial submit point to question 6 so that at least you’ve captured the email address to send them the personalised recommendations even if they don’t end up answering question 7 (the email opt in) and submitting the form.
  2. You could “sell” the benefits of opting into the mail a bit more in question 7, explaining what they will receive if they sign up. Here’s a screenshot of the opt-in question copy that ClimateHero use for their carbon footprint calculator, which is a similar kind of use case to yours:

In ClimateHero’s case they actually provide the calculation through the typeform itself, and then share it again via email with some related content. Is this something you’ve thought about? How complicated would it be calculate and show the weight loss time (or even an approximation) within the typeform?

If you’re interested you can find out a bit more about how ClimateHero approached their calculator and what they learned through iterating/optimizing the form by re-watching the chat I had with their Co-Founder, @RobertSabelstrom

I hope at least some of this might be helpful in upping those completion rates. Maybe others here have alternative ideas…

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @James,
Thanks a lot for your interesting input. 

I am calculating everything inside Typeform actually, so basically I could show them the results. I chose not to because I wanted them to give me their email in exchange for that.

Another solution would be to not ask them for permission to send them further information in the quiz but ask them via email later. But I think this is not how it should be done nor is it probably GDPR compliant…

I will check out in depth what ClimateHero did. Thanks for the link.

Cheers,
Cesare

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I see @Cesare – in that case another option could be to make it even clearer what they will be getting by filling out the form - maybe show an example of what they will see in the email. Granted, I didn’t have the context from the source of the form but for me as the “form filler” it wasn’t initially clear what I’d be receiving and when, so perhaps a tweak to the question copy and/or an example screenshot might help. Just throwing it out there, I think it’s worth testing a bunch of things and seeing what lands :)

BTW , I’m moving this thread to our “tune up your typeform” category in case someone else wants to weigh in with ideas for optimizing the question/form….

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James @Cesare  - one of the options you could pursue is to show a “teaser” ending ie a paragraph that says essentially: “based on your score you are a xxxxxxx. This means that you should consider yyyyy” (one sentence only)  and if they want more detailed info then click the button here below to enter their details and you’ll send them a X-page long customized report (can be a templated version with their input included) on how they can achieve promised results. 

put that email address as a second typeform that they go to add the contact stuff. 

just my thoughts

des

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

thanks @john.desborough: good idea!

I guess to improve the 1st question, i.e. use a more compelling image, make them better understand what they will get exactly and for what could be equally important as James already suggested.

I mean completion rate is one thing but there should also be something like a starting rate, i.e. how many people start after viewing the 1st page, on this quiz we had 71 views and 13 starts (not really statically relevant yet) which is only about 18%…

On the other hand I guess many people (including myself often enough) just close pop-ups almost immediately without reading them. That would speak against focusing too much on this figure. What are you thoughts about that @James@john.desborough?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Cesare

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Cesare - what is the outcome(s) you want to achieve? is it number of clicks or $$ in revenue?

figure out the outcome(s) you want and then go back to the ‘hook’ to get the user to take the quiz and look at what you need to put on the landing/first questions ...then build a bridge to get the user from the opening to the outcome(s) that you want. 

ie maybe on landing page - do you want to get some detailed personalized steps to achieve XXX? AND get entered into a draw to win a $50 gift card (monthly draw)?? take this 3 minute quiz. 

@James - i can’t put my fingers on the link to the workshop, but there was a Community workshop  we did that covered some of this (last fall/spring 2023??)

des

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@john.desborough: captures leads and then sell our services eventually, i.e. $$

will think how to improve it further.

the bridge would be an email sequence to educate them about the program and gain their trust.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@James @Cesare  - one of the options you could pursue is to show a “teaser” ending ie a paragraph that says essentially: “based on your score you are a xxxxxxx. This means that you should consider yyyyy” (one sentence only)  and if they want more detailed info then click the button here below to enter their details and you’ll send them a X-page long customized report (can be a templated version with their input included) on how they can achieve promised results. 

put that email address as a second typeform that they go to add the contact stuff. 

just my thoughts

des

Love this idea @john.desborough I think this is a nice way of offering some instant reward on the spot and then enticing folks to sign up to get the added value (their scores plus related dripped content).

I assume this was the workshop you meant, des?

​​​​​
I think there are some real pearls of wisdom in there that could help @Cesare in terms of tracking drop-offs over time and identifying how/where to optimize. That bloke who ran the workshop definitely knew his stuff :P 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@James thanks I will have a look at it.

I changed the quiz now according to most of your suggestions, I am curious to see how it will perform now. Feel free to have a look at if if you like.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I love the changes @Cesare ! Somehow it felt more enjoyable filling it in and then I’m getting something genuinely useful off the back of filling it in – in fact I signed up as I am actually interested in how I can shift the required bulge in just 2-4 weeks :) 

Good luck with the changes, please do come back and let us know of the impact once you have meaningful data!