Answered

Collect Gclid from Google Ads

Hi! 🙋‍♂️ 

Does anyone know how to collect Google Ads Gclid with Typeform?

Thank you in advance 🙏🏼!

Alberto

icon

Best answer by Liz 23 March 2021, 17:39

View original

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Alberto thanks for stopping by! We don’t support Google Ads directly, you could try the following workaround first to track the events from Google Analytics. 

1. Install Google Analytics on the Typeform
2. Create a goal based on the "On Submit" Event on Typeform
3. Connect Analytics Goals To Google Ads

To actually pass in the Gclid, you would need to use hidden fields on your form. Then, I would follow the steps below to pass in data if you happen to have the form embedded on your site. 

https://community.typeform.com/developers-corner-44/faq-developer-portal-136

Does that help a bit? :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Alberto thanks for stopping by! We don’t support Google Ads directly, you could try the following workaround first to track the events from Google Analytics. 

1. Install Google Analytics on the Typeform
2. Create a goal based on the "On Submit" Event on Typeform
3. Connect Analytics Goals To Google Ads

To actually pass in the Gclid, you would need to use hidden fields on your form. Then, I would follow the steps below to pass in data if you happen to have the form embedded on your site. 

https://community.typeform.com/developers-corner-44/faq-developer-portal-136

Does that help a bit? :grinning:

Thank you @Liz for your reply!

I understand that the Analytics option can be a good one for creating conversions for “On Submit”.

But if the form is not embedded in my site I understand that there is no way to collect the Gclid, right?

Thank you in advance for your time,

Alberto

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Alberto if you’re able to passing the Gclid through the ad into a hidden field, that should work fine then! It’s much easier than embedding anyway since all you have to do is add a hidden field to your form and be sure that the URL in your Google Ad is passing the Gclid into the form. 

Thank for your reply. No that is exactly what I want to do but I do not know how to do. To pass the Gclid through the ad into a hidden field.

My form has already a hidden field called gclid, and the Url in my ad has the Gclid

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Alberto Ah, that’s perfect then! It should pass it so long as you have it in the URL. Are you noticing any errors with it?

Badge +1

@Liz  I’m trying to set up the same process on my side  Google Ads → GCLID→ Landing page → Typeform POPUP → HIDDEN FIELD → GA GOALS → GOOGLE ADS 

Could you explain clearly how to accomplish on typeform what/ how to pass the GCLID into the Hidden field AND also how to modifify (if needed) the exported code ?

*i’m using the new builder with Professional PLan 

But I keep having that as a result? See attach 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Antonin ah, it looks like you haven’t added the gclid as a hidden field. You’ll first want to do that using the instructions here. Let me know if you have any troubles adding hidden fields! 

Badge +1

@Liz How do you pass information (hidden field) to a specific product page (or checkout page) in shopify so it shows up? 

Badge +1

Hi @Antonin ah, it looks like you haven’t added the gclid as a hidden field. You’ll first want to do that using the instructions here. Let me know if you have any troubles adding hidden fields! 

@Liz  Seems like i’m doing something wrong.. since I still have these results!!?
SO on GA, i’m not able to record the the google source of the goals accomplished

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Antonin While it looks like the Gclid is passing into the hidden fields, the UTM variables are not passing in. Do you have these pre-defined in the URL on your ad? 

For example, when someone clicks on the ad, the URL should look something like this: 

www.hello.typeform.com/to/sdfjdfd?utm_source=ad&utm_medium=somethingelsehere

As for passing the data from Typeform into Shopify, you could first setup a redirect URL to pass data out of the form similar to this setup

The next step would be allowing the pages on your Shopify site to accept the data, which would include custom coding, depending on how you have your Shopify site built and the cart you’re using. There’s a thread about this here, and the first thing to figure out would be where you’re sending your respondent after they fill out the form. 

Badge +1

@Liz  ,

Maybe my question was confusing … 
The Gclid is passed from google ads Gclid → landing page  → typeform →  ?? → GA

But it seems that GA doesn’t receive the Gclid from Typeform?

The objective goal is properly set up and captures the event all the time but it doesn't associate it with the Gclid from Google Ads Campaign. 

*Concerning the UTM, I deleted them since I'm using the Gclid. 

Badge +1

@Liz 

My understanding.. is that in order to attribute the conversion goals to Google Ads (and the right campaign).. the Gclid needs to be transferred to GA while the event is trigger… but what from this screenshot… I still see only xxxx? 

Badge +1

Hey @Liz ..
Update… We’re one step forward...it not seem that it recognize that it’s from Google Ads Source...but it’s doesn’t fit into any campaign  ...it created a “No Set” within google ads section of GA (so it’s doesnt send the data back to google ads).. do you know how to fix this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Antonin Hm, I’m a bit stuck here as well. :\ Since we don’t currently have an integration with Google Ads, I’m not quite sure of additional troubleshooting steps, but I’ve reached out to our marketing team who regularly work with ads to see if they happen to have an idea what to do next. I’m sorry I don’t have better advice right away, but I’m hoping they’ll be able to help me out here!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Antonin did you add “gclid” as a hidden field to your typeform and also be sure to publish the form after adding the hidden field?

Badge +1

@Liz 

THanks for your feedback! 
The problem is not actually with Google Ads itself… more with Google analytics directly who doesn't “know” which GCLID to associate the event to…

The gclid is passed along the URL effectively and even to the next page after redirect… however when Typeform submit the “Task completion” it seem that it doest not include the GCLID itself so that GA couldn’t know from with source/campaign it came from…

Could it be because it’s a popup? 
Could it be because the trigger from Typeform is sent before receiving the Gclid?
Or is it because it’s not possible to pass the Gclid ? 

this is the Source captured by GA from Typeform Event : 

/to/kMYymiXY?typeform-medium=embed-sdk&typeform-embed=popup-blank&typeform-source=podform3d.com&typeform-embed-id=16smv#gclid=xxxxx

it always has the XXXX instead of the actual number! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah! That would be it. Would you mind sending the URL of the embed? I can take a look at the code to show you how to adjust it so the hidden field passes through. You’ll also want to be sure that you’ve published any changes to the form to be sure that the hidden field captures!

Badge +1

@Liz 
https://form.typeform.com/to/kMYymiXY#gclid=xxxxx

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Antonin Could you please send the URL where the form is embedded?

Badge +1

@Liz 
there you go : https://podform3d.com/pages/am-i-a-candidate

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @Antonin ! I submitted a test with the gclid information filled in. Would you mind letting me know if that has appeared in your hidden fields? 

If not, our technical support team can look further into the form in your account to see why it’s not passing, and you’ll want to contact them through your account email here

Badge +1

@Liz 
here’s what I got : 

• gclid
    undefined
Badge +1

@Liz 

Could you give it a try with this one: https://podform3d.com/pages/foot-pain

I have tried to set up a Landing Page event goal trigger in GA but even there the Gclid is lost along the way… Please help… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Antonin Hm, at this point, it’s best to have our technical support team look further into this, as it seems that everything in the hidden fields portion is setup correctly. Would you mind contacting them from your account email here? Once you do, please let me know, and I can share this thread with them. :grinning: