Answered

Get all responses from the API (regardless of workspace)

• 16 October 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hey,

We have a solution where we extract responses from all workspaces on our Typeform account (Enterprise Basic Plan). Or, we try to extract from all workspaces. The token we use to access the API is connected to a personal account, and the workspaces the token grants access to is therefore constrained by the access of the personal account.

Which means that when we create a new workspace (which we do, and will do moving forward), we have to remember to add that personal account to the workspace.

Is there a way to work around this, so that an API token automatically has access to all workspaces? Or some other workaround?

icon

Best answer by Liz 16 October 2023, 19:07

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Mikkel Nice to see you here again!

If you’re not an owner of a workspace (such as the personal one), it’s not possible to access the content. 

Though, this would be great enterprise feedback, especially if those members are sitting under your organization. 

@mathio do you know if this is something in the future at all? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thank you, @Liz

I’m not sure how many needs this use-case, but for us at least, it would be great to have a straightforward way to access all workspaces under an enterprise plan organization. For instance if the owner of an organization could create tokens that grants access to everything in the organization. (I think we tested a couple of weeks ago, and the owner didn’t automatically have access to all workspaces.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Mikkel I think it makes sense for any enterprise org, especially the more workspaces and owners an organization has! I’ve also shared this with the success managers, too. 😀

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thank you, @Liz, for sharing it within Typeform 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Of course! 😁

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello there!

I thought I’d check in on this topic again. The subject of specifying scope for an access token came up again in our use of Typeform, and it seemed fairly similar to the functionality addressed here.

We can obviously constrain the scope of an access token to read/write/delete for themes, workspaces, and so on. 

Current options for constraining scope

However, we would have preferred to be able to define an access token that only has access to a given list of workspaces. So not just constrain the scope of an access token in terms of its permissions, but also constrain which workspaces it can access.

(We could solve this by having a user that only has access to the workspace in question, and then add an access token for this user. However, that is… somewhat convoluted to maintain, and not the optimal solution in terms of complexity, and especially inconvenient since we have a limited number of users.)

As far as I can tell, a functionality to constrain scope in such a way doesn’t exist yet, and I realize it’s a bit early in the year for a Christmas wish list, but we’d definitely put such a functionality on our wish list 😊

Tagging @Liz since you helped out last time.

-Mikkel

P.S. Liz, have I mentioned how the quote in your signature is brilliant? 😄

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Mikkel Yes!!! I love a good gif! 

@mathio actually might be more helpful than me on this one as he’s got more knowledge on the APIs/embeds than I might. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @Mikkel and @Liz 

I am not aware if this is planned for the future. I have pinged the engineering team in charge of API tokens, they should reply here.

Hi @Mikkel and @Liz 👋

I’m part of the engineering team that takes care of API tokens. 
Unfortunately, we don’t have this in our roadmap for 2024. Let us keep track of this conversation and see if we can prioritise this in the future. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Much obliged to you all, Liz, mathio, and nikhilkuria 😃