Answered

possible bug? on safari / private browsing, url params do not get populated and submitted

• 5 February 2024
  • 9 replies

Hi, we’ve encountered this weird behaviour when debugging our web app, it happens only when using safari on private browsing mode.

We have a set of 2 form on our web app - the 1st typeform collects ONLY the users email address, and once completed, the user gets redirected to the next typeform where more information can be submitted. The user’s email from the 1st form is being added to the url as a url param which is then processed by the 2nd form so that the user is identified without having to type in their email again. this works fine, but specifically on mac/ safri / private browsing, the url param does not get pulled by typeform and eventually the typeform gets submitted without the email address.

see these results in the screenshot - the bottom one was submitted using chrome incognito, the top one was submitted using safari private browsing - and no email was submitted (even tho the url has an email url param in it, as it should)

what could be causing this?

is this a known issue?

what can be done about it?

icon

Best answer by mathio 13 February 2024, 11:49

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @OmerNeverstop Do you mind sharing the URL of your form and also how that information is getting entered into the hidden fields? Is the form embedded? Or are you directing them from an email? Thanks in advance!

Hi Liz, and thank you for a quick response :-)

We are not redirecting from email. 

Yes the forms are embedded.

here’s an overview of the flow with links: 
Users are sourced via paid ads on fb and taboola, and they land on the homepage at https://bridge.neverstop.com, after clicking the main call to action they are redirected to https://bridge.neverstop.com/start, where they are presented with the 1st typeform that collects only email. Upon successful submission, they are redirected to the next typeform with their email as a url param that populates a hidden field. 

thanks for your time,

Omer

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@mathio do you happen to know if they have the URL parameters correctly set in the embeds above? 😅

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @OmerNeverstop 

I noticed you define both data-tf-transitive-search-params and data-tf-hidden in the embed code snippet. The data-tf-hidden attribute contains email hidden field with empty value. This might be the reason, why the email hidden field value is overwritten to empty string, because it is specified in the snippet. 

Since you are not passing any values via data-tf-hidden attribute, I suggest to completely remove it from the snippet.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I have just learned that Safari might strip some tracking parameters from URLs. This is designed to prevent tracking, but in some cases might break website functionality. If the above change does not help, I’d suggest to rename the hidden field to something other than email to see if it helps.

More information: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ios-17-strips-tracking-parameters-from-your-urls-dimitar-stoyanov/

Hello @OmerNeverstop 

I noticed you define both data-tf-transitive-search-params and data-tf-hidden in the embed code snippet. The data-tf-hidden attribute contains email hidden field with empty value. This might be the reason, why the email hidden field value is overwritten to empty string, because it is specified in the snippet. 

Since you are not passing any values via data-tf-hidden attribute, I suggest to completely remove it from the snippet.

Hope this helps.

This is my exact embed code: 
<div data-tf-live="01HNG75PJ5W6SN7EMNCZKWK0NS" data-tf-transitive-search-params="email"></div>

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In that case I’d suggest to try renaming the hidden field from email to something else, as it might be blocked by Safari.

@mathio could we name them whichever way we want? should it be consistent with the naming of form fields or IDs?

Thank you for your help :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You need to use the same name as the name of your typeform hidden field.

We did some testing and it looks like this is a privacy feature enforced by Safari. Unfortunately this is out of our hands for now, but we will try to see if there is any workaround in future.