Answered

Remove Typeform-generated content when moving between pages

• 28 December 2021
  • 9 replies

Hello!

We have an SPA where we’re showing a Typeform questionnaire on the home/dashboard page, but we then want to remove the Typeform on navigating to a different page.  Typeform generates its own HTML to present the questionnaire:

Is there a consistent way that we can use to access this content (something that will be consistent from version to version)?  Previously we were using the “typeform-sidetab” class to find it, but now this has changed to “tf-v1-sidetab”, and it might change again in future…  Is there a way that we can ID the Typeform-generated div ourselves perhaps?  Or is there some clean-up function we can invoke if we want to remove the Typeform HTML when navigating to a different route?

icon

Best answer by mathio 28 December 2021, 12:08

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @stahfacedquail Happy Tuesday! Thanks for stopping by the community. This would definitely involved some custom-coding, so I’m tagging @mathio here who may already have a solution for you. :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @stahfacedquail 

if you have a SPA then you can render your typeform sidetab only on pages you want to display it on.

If you want a hacky solution you can use the “tf-v1-sidetab” class name for now or wrap the embed code in a custom element and hide that one.

Thanks so much, @Liz and @mathio ; this definitely helps.  The idea of embedding the code in a custom element sounds like it would work best for us as we want to avoid duplicating the Typeform code…  How can we direct Typeform to put the code into a specific element?  I would have thought the “container” option would help, but I see that only works for the widget?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can try something like this:

<div id="my-typeform-container">
<!-- place you embed snippet here -->
</div>

Then you can use CSS or JavaScript to show & hide the my-typeform-container element.

Thanks, @mathio ; I’ve now targetted a specific div for the embed and it’s working like a charm.  I just want to double-check: am I correct in saying that one can only specify where to do the embed if they embed via JS?  There isn’t a way to direct the embed if embedding via HTML (and that Typeform will always default to appending the form to the document’s body element in this case)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can do it via both HTML and JS embed codes. It all depends on how you build your website.

In the HTML embed case, does the location of the embed depend on where I put the div with all the data-tf-… attributes, or can I specify the container for the embed by using an attribute something like below:

data-tf-container=”div#theEmbedContainer”

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sorry, you are correct, you need to use JS embed to place the embed into a specific div.

To use HTML snippet you would need to conditionally include the snippet in your SPA.

Perfect; thanks for all your help!  Thanks so much.