Typeform files to Google Drive/Cloud and accessed in Airtable - Solutions?

• 21 January 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello,

It seems this issue is relevant to many users, due to Typeform storage limits of 4GB. Here I am looking for a discussion to find possible/simplest solutions to this problems/work arounds. 

Typeform stores images, it gives option to store them in google drive, but those stored images/files must be access somehow easily from Airtable/Google sheets. How to do it? What could be possible solutions to this?

# Solution 1 - Google drive

• Enable google drive storage in typeform
  • When record is created in Typeform/Airtable run script to  Access google drive from and get paths/links to those images
  • Update record with those new paths
  • Delete typeform record (to clean storage in typeform)

Problem: is it possible to access google drive files via apie without any permision? though keeping files safe, that is accessable only by those who have link, but not others

# Solution 2 - Cloud storage

• When typeform is completed, record in Airtable is created
  • When record is created, run script to upload files to cloud storage
  • Once files have been successfully uploaded, update airtable record and add the paths to cloud storage to those specific files/images

Problem: requires some coding knowledge?

Has anyone implemented something similar? What approach have you used?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough @Paulo @belinda_long @TFJunkie do any of you have solutions to this that you’ve tried and have worked for you? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz @ValdemarQ  - sorry .. not a collection of tools and skills that the voices in my nor I have at the moment. 

des

Sorry @Liz and @ValdemarQ we use images from forms just inside the company, so we just share that specific Google Drive folder with the people involved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @ValdemarQ 
I imagine you are asking for files that would be uploaded by your respondents, is that right?

How close are you to reaching the 4GB limit? Each file could be a maximum of 10Mb, that’s quite a lot of files to get to 4Gb 🤣

If you use our Box or Dropbox integration, those files will be saved into your own account, so you should be able to access it via API if authenticated on your own account.

Are you using a workflow solution like Zapier or Integromat to build this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@picsoung yes, respondents upload images with the form. 4GB limit is not a lot actually, very little given you get 150-200 respondends a month with 3-6 images of 1-10mb size per respondent deplets the spacing very quickly, pitty that typeform hasnt solved this problem yet.

Yeah, that what we are checking up to access files via API ant maybe use Zapier or Integromat, but we also want those links to appear in Airtable a new paths to images, but Zapier/Integromat doesnt have so simple and clear guides here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Liz Would know, if there is a way to add more space to your account, or delete old files so you gain space again.

Regarding integromat if you use the typeform trigger you should be able to push the file directly to airtable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @ValdemarQ the only way to add more space back for files to your account would be to delete existing ones. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Liz Thanks for an answer.

Yes indeed that seems as a solution, we want to automate deletion after images were uploaded to drive. 

We were thinking to do it via API, but we see that typeform has API limitations, 

Is there a way to delete multiple images per one API Call? 

I see there is API call to delete records. I see that from Id is seen in the URL, but what about the record id, is it Token which comes when the record is created? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @ValdemarQ Yes, that’s correct! The easiest way to find this is through the Responses API call here