Skip to main content
Answered

Virtual keyboard

We would like to implement typeform in our app which is gonna be used also on kiosks without hardware keyboard, does typeform support some kind of virtual keyboard out of the box? Or is it possible to dynamically set value for a text field with javascript? So we can use virtual keyboard on our own and just set value based on what user types in?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @tattek Happy Monday! Do you mean the keyboard that pops up on a mobile browser automatically when a user needs to enter information into a field? If so, we do support that!

Hi @Liz , actually not, native keyboards on mobile devices works normally, that’s not an issue. For kiosks, it’s just displays without hardware keyboard, at this moment I’m not really sure what’s the operating system if it’s windows or linux but there is a chromium browser and we need to initialize 3rd party javascript solution for virtual keyboard. Based on output from the virtual keyboard we need to mimic inputted value to the text field inside the iframe of a feedback.Thank you in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @tattek Oh, got it. This is...a good question. 😅

@mathio or @picsoung do either of you happen to know anything about this? 😅

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @tattek 

I dont think this is possible with embedded forms due to how iframes work.

I think your best choice would be to go with some native virtual keyboard. Eg. Windows should support on-screen keyboard out of the box when in “tablet mode”.

Alternatively, if you are able open the typeform directly in browser tab, you might be able to use a custom built or one of the virtual keyboard extensions available in Chrome Web Store.