Skip to main content
Answered

Why am I getting duplicate Network IDs?

Hello everyone.

I have a few forms that show duplicate Network IDs, which should not be possible. If I understand correctly, the Network ID is tied to the user’s IP address. In my case, I have a survey form that is shared via a QR form during a videomeeting. The users scan the QR code and answer the survey from their phones. The thing is, they are all at home on their own personal computers when they do this, and still I’m getting some duplicate Network IDs here and there. 

At first I thought maybe it was the same student sending the same form several times (maybe they thought it didn’t send correclty), but as you can see below, the scoring changes. Again, all our users are located in different parts of the country and studying from home. How is it possible that they have the same network ID?

On a related note, are there any plans for tracking users cookies? It would make things much easier, especially since some of our students do complete similar forms while they’re in the same classroom/network.

Thank you

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @gestion_docente Thanks for stopping by! The network ID repeats if the user is submitting the form multiple times either from the same location (ex, same internet connection) or the same device. Most likely, this is a respondent that is submitting their answers multiple times. 

As for tracking cookies, perfect timing because we just released the option to prevent duplicate responses on our Growth Plans! You can read more about this feature here

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you, Liz.

Unfortunately, we can’t justify switching plans for a basic feature that should be in all plans. We will continue relying on the Network ID for now.

Best

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you are targeting students this could easily happen if two students are answering the form while they are on the same Campus WiFi. To the outside world they shar the same IP address, therefore the same network id.

To avoid duplicated entries you could also ask for identifying information like email address or student id. People would be able to send the form more than once, but you will be able to dedupe the results in the spreadsheet.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello, picsoung.

I’s not possible for these students to be in the same network or device, as it’s an online course and they’re all spread across the country in their own personal computers. I’m going to assume it’s the same person who maybe thought their answers weren’t being sent, although it’s still a mystery why they’d give different answers each time. 

We don’t want to ask them for their email or other PII as we want these forms to be anonymous. I just need a consistent ID to match answers to the same student profile to seee patterns, etc. but we are not interested in knowing their names, etc.