Video guide

[🆘 Logic SOS] Help: My typeform skips straight to the end!!!

[🆘 Logic SOS] Help: My typeform skips straight to the end!!!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello everyone!

Jo-Shan here from the Typeform Customer Success Team. Hope you're doing well. 

Today I'm kicking off a new series here on the community where I'll be fixing the most common issues with logic in Typeform.

Logic is a very powerful way to give people a customized experience when filling in forms, as well as being awesome for segmenting. Creating logic is now much more straightforward than ever in Typeform. But, we know stuff can go wrong when setting it up so I wanted to help you put those problems to bed.

Here we go with a simple fix for one of the more common logic errors that users report...

Forms that jump to the end when a question is skipped

The problem: 

If you have a question with logic applied to it, and someone tries to skip it, the form jumps straight to the end:

The solution:

By simply making questions required you can force the respondent to answer and therefore prevent them from jumping to the end.

Here's how it's done:

I hope that was helpful and that we were able to dig you out of a logic hole, let me know if this kind of post is helpful. If you're still stuck down there drop a line to our support team who can help you out. I'll be back here to solve another common logic problem here soon...

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks @Jo-Shan for helping to unstick people! This has happened to me on more than one occasion – I’m a nightmare when left alone with logic :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks @Jo-Shan - this is a common problem we see raised in the Community. This will help explain it, logically, pardon the pun, to folks. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks @Jo-Shan for helping to unstick people! This has happened to me on more than one occasion – I’m a nightmare when left alone with logic :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@James - I understand about not being left alone with logic. For some of us it is just symbolic. lol

des

Badge +5

Im sure we'll reference this post many times in the future. Thanks @Jo-Shan for a superb explanation! 

@Jo-Shan What if you DO want the person to be able to skip the question if they don’t want to answer. Is there any way to avoid the submit button then?

EDIT: I DId make them mandatory and it is still skipping to submit if the person tries to continue without answering

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @FBAX :slight_smile:
If you want to let people skip the question (an optional question), you can add something to the [in ALL other cases] logic. 

E.g. in ALL other cases jump to [the question after all the follow-up questions for the answer choices]. 
Once you have something there, your respondents will be able to skip the question. 

@Jo-Shan . I have tried the mandatory approach. I have mandatory question with only two answers and when I try to skip it I am offered the submit button. 

Is there any way to speak to a customer service person or do a life chat to get answers resolved faster instead posting on a public board or waiting for customer service to reply! I am trying to get my form published ASAP.

@Jo-Shan

I tried the mandatory approach but it still doesn’t work. I have a mandatory questions with two potential answers. When I try to skip I am given the submit button. 

Is there any way to speak to a customer service person or a life chat. Posting on public forums or waiting for email replies is taking a long time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@FBAX - this from another user 

Please note that this Community is a peer-support community and NOT the official help/support service of Typeform. The folks in here from the user side of the community and the Typeform Community folks are not here 24x7, so sometimes it takes a while to get a response here in the community. 

I believe what you are seeing is expected behaviour in the scrolling past your required question - if there is ‘nothing else to answer’ then Typeform presents the Submit button. If you have marked the questions as required, when the user presses the Submit button they will be advised/routed that there is a mandatory question that must be answered prior to the submission being allowed. 

des

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @FBAX ,

You may reach out to our Support team via this form: https://help.typeform.com/hc/en-us/requests/new 

Please remember to include the url of your form so our wonderful Support agents can help troubleshoot the issue. 

If you are on a Business/ Premium plan, you can start a chat with our Support team within the account. :)