Answered

Excel: "I'm a beautiful table, do not change me and I will keep receiving responses." What is the alternative if we need a new column in the sheet?

• 18 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi TypeForm,

I hope you bear with me with this issue. This is not an error, but I need advice.

I have connected my TypeForm to Excel.  My client does not accept Google Sheets into their ecosystem. Also we could not filter the Google Sheet on the other end. So, Excel seems to be what we currently have if do not find a third alternative.

On the first row of the Excel document that TypeForm sends its responses to, there is a line that says:

I'm a beautiful table, do not change me and I will keep receiving responses.

The problem with this is that we need an extra column in the Excel sheet that tells us whether or not we have processed this row at the destination system before. The destination system is limited in the number of rows it can read. As of now, it can only read a mere 256 rows every time it takes the sheet rows. Therefore, if we do not have a column that says e.g., “ThisRowIsProcessed = 1”, we end up fetching the same rows every time. If we have this row we can tell the destination system to fetch only the rows with “ThisRowIsProcessed = 0” so that, in time, it can process all the rows.

I tested adding this extra column just to see if the above statement is true and noticed that it is the case. The Excel sheet stops receiving new answers if you add this extra column.

Do you have any other recommendations? 

We need to save all the answers somewhere so that we can fetch them later and process them. 

And if Excel cannot do this, do we have any alternatives to Excel and Google Sheets that can?

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 18 August 2022, 21:47

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @pedramm Happy Thursday! Welcome to the community. Usually what we find works best is to have a separate sheet with the information from the spreadsheet so you can edit it/add items/etc. 

I know @john.desborough does this quite a bit, possibly more with Google Sheets, but may have some advice for you on it. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz @pedramm - I  am actively avoiding Excel these days lol… however, in Google sheets, you can use the arrayformula() function to pull data from the Typeform ‘dump’ sheet onto a second tab in the sheet and add all the extra columns that you need - i also use this to consolidate data from multiple Google Sheets into an integrated one that allows for broader reporting 

in Excel, the Offset() function operates in a similar fashion but i have not gone deep into it.. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/offset-function-c8de19ae-dd79-4b9b-a14e-b4d906d11b66?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

is a link to the offset function that might help

des

Userlevel 1

Thank @Liz @john.desborough. Excel is currently the choice we have, so I can alas not use G Sheets. 

I received this answer from the support team’s Ylli:

There are specific actions that can break the excel online integration: https://share.getcloudapp.com/yAuQ77rL 

My best advice here would be to leave the main workbook as is, then mirror the data from that workbook to a 2nd workbook where you could add additional columns with values such as ThisRowIsProcessed = 1 or ThisRowIsProcessed = 0 to further process your data.

You can find more information/guides on mirroring data between excel workbooks online at google.com or youtube.com

I will dig a bit into this. But the main problem in a mirrored sheet would be to have the ThisRowIsProcessed connected to the correct rows as the mother sheet is updated because this sheet is alien to the rest of the table. But I guess that will be a few questions back and forth in StackOverflow instead of here. 

I also thought about TypeForm’s Responses API, but there we too we should, in some way, keep track of the already processed rows.

I just wish I was given freedom so I could solve the problem by writing a complete program. But I’m limited to using MS Power Automate which is very limited in terms of receiving rows of data.