Answered

Form is not closing when response limit is reached!

• 23 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there,

I’m loving typeforms. I’m using it to get applicant information for free coding classes that my charity is offering. We can only allow certain applicants to apply based on their income applicants so the logic jumps are really helping. However I am having issues with the response limit feature. It seems to work sometimes and not at others. Each class only has so many spots but the form occasionally allows more than the number of applicants to apply than I set so we keep getting oversubscribed. I was wondering if this was a common problem or if there is something that causes this. Right now I am having to carefully track when forms reach their response limit as it’s so hit or miss as to whether it will work, i am looking at a form right now that is limited to 13 responses, it has 13 responses but I can still access it through my website. Please help!

Theories/ Context

• I am wondering if it’s because I occasionally go in and delete responses as some parents sign up their child more than once. Perhaps this causes the form to get confused as to how many people have actually responded.
  • Sometimes we get bombarded with applicants so perhaps the response limit can’t close the form fast enough but we seem to have the issue even when applicants are coming in more slowly.
icon

Best answer by Liz 2 July 2021, 20:04

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @apstrainingacademy. Happy Wednesday! :hugging:

Typeform should always recognize the number of responses and close it whenever it hits the limit. Do you believe it's possible you updated the form but forgot to publish? This is not uncommon so I was wondering if that could be your case. 

So I can test it on my send, do you mind sharing the Typeform URL here? I'll be happy to take a look! =)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Mariana,

Thank you for your response. It is possible that that is why however it seems that if the only edit I make is to change the response limit on the form, I am not prompted/ able to republish the form. I get a message that the ‘new response limit is applied’ but no option to publish unless I change the content which I don’t need to do. Can you check if this is also the case for you?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @apstrainingacademy Apologies for the delay! Were you able to get the response limit applied? If not, any screenshots you could send would be handy!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Liz,

No I have not been able to solve the issue. The forms still seem to be inconsistently closing when reaching the response limit.

Limit is set to 13

I have 13 responses 

No option to publish 

Deleted and replaced one letter to prompt Publish button 

Still allows me to access to form through our website despite have reached the form limit...

I have since manually closed the form but obviously this is not realistic going forward and will lead to oversubscription.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @apstrainingacademy Thanks for sending this over! Did you setup the limit after responses had already been collected on the form?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for your prompt response. I initially set up the response limit to 10 and then started collecting responses. As mentioned before, we are using the typeform to collect applicants for a class which has a limited capacity. We have very specific requirements of who can register which is why we're not using a traditional event booking platform (your logic jumps are perfect for this). Due to some parents cancelling their application and a few parents applying twice I raised the response limit and republished. In some cases the form had already closed itself so I upped the limit and reopened the form and they no longer seem to close themselves when they reach this new limit. Is it possible that that is why and that once a form reaches its capacity it cannot be reopened with a new response limit? If so, is this a feature that could be added. I would rather not have to create a new form every time I need to fill spots on a course and have our applicants data stored across two or more forms.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Got it - thanks, @apstrainingacademy When updating the response limit, it starts counting the responses when you set the limit. So, for example, if you had already collected 10 responses and then changed the limit to 13, the form won’t close until you reach 23 responses. 

In this case, if you’d like the form to close at 13 responses, you would need to adjust it 23. 

I hope this helps clarify! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Aha! Thank you for clarifying that! Hopefully this resolves my issue! 

Maybe it’s just me, but the way that the form/ settings words it does not make that super apparent. Perhaps if it said “As of date this typeform will close when it collects ## more responses”. I think most people, when updating their response limit a second time, would assume that it applies to the total responses (inc those already collected) as opposed to only those responses after the new response limit is set.

Thanks though! Really appreciate all of your time on this!